budget Android device for Ebook reader

Hi, i am interested in buying amazon kindle keyboard, but since its not available now, i am considering buying a cheap tablet instead of the 80GBP non keyboard kindle, as i value keyboard....and if its not there..hell lets just buy a tablet!

budget: 80~90gbp
    Main purpose: ebooks , audio books [should be able to get books from amazon market place] though I may also load non amazon ones.
    Supplementary purpose: the more the merrier :gmail, facebook, chatting .

Screen quality: it shouldnt be absolutely horrible. descent, kindle or kindle esque is ok.
    ....but tablets are coloured? : well so i am saying shoulnd be very poor, decent like that of a cheap laptop is acceptable

video playback: more the merrier, but happy if it plays 360p youtube vids!
    batterylife: 7~8 hours (or more the merrier!)

PS: I am an ultra noob when it comes to android powered devices/tablets.

i am aware that there is an ereader app for android, how is it? is it kindle comparable? or not as good?

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Droidx, Xoom and Comcast MIFI Hotspot
    Not knowledgeable about Kindle, but there is a Kindle app for Android. Just went into the Android market and downloaded Moon Reader. Seems to be feature rich and easy to use. Guess I need to look for a book like Android for Dummies. :-)

The difference between a Kindle e reader and a tablet is that a Kindle goes about 2 weeks between battery charges, a tablet about 8 hours max. The Kindle is reflective rather than backlighted and can easily be read outdoors. Also it is very light weight and easy to hold.

I consider my Kindle a perfect device for reading. It does only one thing and does it very well indeed. It won't play videos.

Kindle Fire is a tablet, relatively cheap at $199, with a sensational screen and lots of apps available. This might be your choice if you want videos.

I have both.

Last edited by cnmoore; 01-03-2012 at 12:49 PM.

convert kindle to ubuntu tablet?

Is it possible to get a reliable tablet device that runs Ubuntu by converting a Kindle?

G.

Highly doubt it, since Android is Google's version of Ubuntu for touch screen devices. You would be taking a step backwards to try and do what already has been done to the device. I haven't done it myself but I've read that it is easy to root the Kindle Fire.