See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rooting Advantages?

At first glance, rooting appears to be complicated and risky. Is rooting a device the only way to get full control of security and privacy features? What else does rooting provide?

Depending on your phone, rooting isn't difficult at all. Look for Universal Androot or SuperOneClick, they're both pretty painless.

As for WHY to root, I did it so I could overclock and use a third party wifi tether app (my phone was on 2.1 at the time). Since then I've installed cyanogen 7 and find my phone WAY faster with longer battery life, than the stock Motorola firmware.

Obviously if you're happy with what your phone does (and allowing applications root access to your phone is definitely not a security feature as much as it is a security hole), there's no reason to.

1 members found this post helpful.

I guess I like the ability to use some of the tools like SetCPU to change the operating frequency. I also use it to occasionally tether a computer. And to be honest, there are a lot of interesting custom ROMs out there, and I'm not sure you can use them if you're not rooted.

As for the complication and risk, yes you do have to pay attention to the details. But to be honest, I never found it that complicated and once you've done it there are tools (like Clockwork Mod, ROM Manager and Titanium Backup) that make further changes much easier.

The Biggest advantage for me in rooting is that it has also made the Desire HD sim free. (Also worked for the original Desire) You also gain the option of upgrading the Radio part of the phone to improve signal strength if you need to. Also the ROM's out there to improve battery life, WIFI performance, and overall look of the phone are real bonuses.

I think that rooting can be also good for those who want to buy a finished Android product and convert it into development board/platform. I am considering such a path.

Isn't tethering being targeted for elimination by the telcos? I seem to recall reading that it is in fact a violation of most, if not all, terms of use.

I have my phone rooted for the firewall. It uses an iptables firewall and a whitelist of applications allowed to contact the internet. So when I install an app it does not have internet access by default and I have to allow it internet access.

I use DroidWall as the firewall.

SAM

rooting lets you install busybox which adds a good bit of useful functionality that would usually only be accessible from a full install of Linux.

i'm also working on getting BackTrack 5 up and running on my Nexus S

[edit] Titanium Backup is also very useful [/edit]

Device(s)
    T-Moblie G2, Android 2.2
    I have a T-Mobile G2 and decided to switch from the stock rom to Cyanogen 7 about 3 months ago. Although it gave me a few extra bells and whistles, it didn't bring anything substantive to the table that I wasn't already getting with the stock Android 2.2 that comes with the G2 by default. At least nothing I needed or used. In fact, I noticed a performance drop with the new software. It was a little less responsive, the phone ran hotter, and battery life was diminished.

I'm not sure what the root of the problem was, but given the fact that I wasn't really ahead with the new software anyway, I decided last week to put the stock rom back on my G2.

I'm sure there's a lot that Cyanogen brings to the table, but for my purposes, it wasn't worth it.

@n2fastbikes: what phone make/model do you have and your carrier?

Quote Originally Posted by catworld View Post
    Isn't tethering being targeted for elimination by the telcos? I seem to recall reading that it is in fact a violation of most, if not all, terms of use.
    I don't think telecos are aiming to eliminate tethering, they just want to charge a monthly fee for it. And yes, it probably is a violation of the TOS. Personally, I'm not too worried since I tether so rarely, and my teleco doesn't offer any sort of a la carte way of purchasing tethering.

Please don't misunderstand. Tethering is not the only advantage to rooting. I have an application called Better Terminal Emulator Pro and I use it to transfer files using scp and I ssh into my servers and dev machines from my phone when I'm away from home. BTEP is the bash shell on your phone and you have vi installed for editing text files and your normal command line tools such as grep, find, ifconfig, and many more.

Also you can run applications like adbWireless which allows you to connect to your phone with the Android SDK over your network. That way you don't have to fiddle with a USB cable every time you want to install an app with 'adb install app.apk'.

There's applications like Autostarts which allow you to stop applications from automatically starting up. For instance I don't need google maps to start when I turn my phone on so it only turns on when I want to use it instead of autostarting. This way my phone boots and restarts faster.

There's applications like Bloat Freezer which allow you to uninstall (not permanently which is the point) bloating applications which take up battery life but you'll never need to use such as CityID, Blockbuster app, and others.

There's applications like SetCPU which a lot of people are saying you can overclock with it but that's full of crap. The real power of SetCPU is its ability to set up profiles to control the operating frequency of your phone. For instance if my screen is off then my processor runs at a minimum (300MHz). If the temp of the phone gets more than 50 deg celcius then it underclocks it between 600-300MHz. When it is plugged in charging it runs at max power (1GHz). With different battery levels you can continue underclocking it to extend battery life. By being able to customize your operating frequency you're able to extend your battery life.

With all of those applications installed I have extended my battery life on my Motorola Droid X from 8 hours to two days. So people who are complaining about losing battery life may just not know how to use the applications installed to extend their battery life.

Anyway rooting is a choice so if you don't choose to root it doesn't affect me but I think for the technical minded and the tinkerers rooting is a fun activity. I rooted my phone using an application called z4root which is an Android app on Android 2.2.

SAM

2 members found this post helpful.
    Last edited by sag47; 06-03-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyna View Post
    i'm also working on getting BackTrack 5 up and running on my Nexus S[edit] Titanium Backup is also very useful [/edit]
    Bt5 would be awesome on my HTC inspire 4G, but I would rather multiboot--i don't even know if that is possible on phones...

I rooted my phone to get rid of all the Orange rubbish apps preinstalled. Also it let me update my phone to Android 2.2 so I could move apps to the SD card.

I rooted for basically all the same reasons as those mentioned by sag47. Tethering is not so important for me as my intention was to get have a fully functional computer in my pocket. I there for installed Debian in a chroot on the sdcard and backtrack 5. I needed to change my kernel on the phone to support more file systems on the SD card (ext2/3/4). I run vncserver on both of them and connect to the desktop interfaces using a vncviewer application. I had to do this out of 'moral' reasons since I am a Linux and gadget junkie and have not joined any 12 step support program. Motorola Droid.......I did the same nonsense with a ASUS Transformer but I feel okay about it.