See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Question partitioning an sd card

Does anyone know for sure if an Android's sd card, in my case on Droid 3, is the 3rd storage device, sd-ext, can in fact be partitioned just as a flashdrive can? And do you think even Linux can installed on it boot from it just as a bootable USB can?

Device(s)
    HTC Desire
    Yes, for sure it can be partitioned. You need root access in order to make use of multiple partitions, but at least on the HTC Desire and similar phones, a common strategy is to create an ext4 format partition on the card (leaving the rest as the default fat32 format) and move some of the app storage / app cache onto that partition.

I think you could in principle have any number of partitions, and only mount one or two on the phone. But I doubt there is any way to boot a Linux system from the SD card unless you first completely replace the boot loader in the phone's ROM. I'm sure someone's tried but I haven't heard of it being done on a regular phone - a tablet, more likely.

1 members found this post helpful.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire
    Update - more on installing Linux on an Android device:

Install And Run Ubuntu On Your Android Device With Ubuntu Installer - Download Now | Redmond Pie
    Linux On Android

So, now I have heard of it being done!

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Galaxy y, acer timelinex
    partioning-read my post about internal storage in samsung cat. u will definetly get the ans
    or u may also downlownloa mini tool.exe from-contact me