Question 2nd hand phone... how do I check for malicious software?

I bought a Motorola Droid a855 refurbished a little while ago and noticed some odd things. When left alone to charge it acts of its own accord opening apps and such at random. Also when I tried to manage it on my wifi network I was prompted for a user and pass and I have no idea how to get those.

How do I make sure the OS is clean and how do I learn the user and pass... assuming they are not root and toor. Z/Z

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SII
    To address the first issue, I'd install mylookout.

So this is the primary selling point I have heard for Androids "The user owns the software and can modify it as he/she pleases unlike the iPhone"

This is the reality:

1) If you attempt to alter the Android OS the same thing happens when you attempt to alter an iPhone OS... the warranty gets voided and you receive no support for the software whether it is proprietary or Linux-based with the exception that if you go to the same orgies as the devs then maybe you can do something interesting to "your" phone or spend 5 years undergrad and 3 years grad in a university comp sci courses.

2) If you attempt to post instructions on certain ways to modify your Android then the site or relevant links get shut down by the handset alliance and I have posted simple questions about Androids on 3 different forums and gotten one response 3 weeks later.

3) If you do find a site about modifying your Android either the hacker who wrote it is a ****ing idiot or is intentionally trying to sabotage people's phones.

Is it just me or are all things related to Linux a ****ing waste of time? Z/Z

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SII
    1. I think your beef is with the manufacturers to an extent. If you jailbreak an iPhone then you really are on your own. If you root or otherwise modify an Android device then it may well void your manufacturer/carrier warranty but apart from that, everything should work as normal including the ability to add/remove apps in the normal way. Part of your point also seems to be relating to actually getting hold of source code and modifying/improving apps. It's undeniable that this is possible with a lot of Android apps and, indeed, the operating system but impossible with that fruity bunch of control freaks.
    In short, your Android is YOURS! However, you have to be able to take responsibility for your freedom if you choose to excercise it beyond what your contract with suppliers allows.

2. Certain forums have certain rules regarding what is allowed for discussion and what is not. Some are more sensitive to percieved legal problems from manufacturers/carriers than others. What's allowed might also be related to national laws in whatever country the site is hosted in. The internet is still, for the moment, a free place. Go find a site that suits your needs.

3. Again, in a free (As in speech) 'ecosystem' it's your responsibility to be aware of the risks while taking advantage of the freedoms. As per point 2 response, find a site/community/developer/hacker you trust and others recommend and go with that. You need to do a bit of research and not just expect everything to fall into your lap. And yes, it probably is just you. Linux is very far from being a ****ing waste of time. I say this from the perspective of being an IT professional who has to deal with ****ing waste of time/space/effort systems from a well known company in Redmond along with various Unix like systems including Linux. I long for the day when I can put aside wasting my energy with the waste of space system and spend my time looking after real operating systems like Linux that are designed for real work and not just to make mega corps lots of money.

In closing, I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but it's a bit off when a seemingly genuine question is answered with a (I hope.) potentially useful answer but is then responded to with a misinformed or probably malicious rant.

I love how Linux people refer to those who oppose their belief structure as trolls and in the same breathe say they believe in freedom of speech. As to finding a good hacker to modify your droid... this is akin to finding any professional whether doctor, lawyer etc who will not exaggerate their abilities to swindle money from you... with hackers it is even worse because hackers with any skill are exceptionally rare and by definition if they are willing to do the same things to an electronic device that I would they would also be profoundly criminal (and your world may be sunshine and unicorns but I am not giving root access to a budding criminal moron with far more attitude than ability).

My beef is not with the manufacturers... to my knowledge the handset alliance is not running around trying to sell inferior electronics (last i checked droids were still inferior knock-offs of iPhones) to people by screaming "It's free... It's Linux-based... you can modify it to suit your needs" which as we both know is a pack of lies because EVERY post on any Droid forum that even mentions root gets ignored so your suggestion of finding a "suitable" forum is a ****ing joke because even on hardcore Linux forum they prance around around the primary Linux administrative account "ROOT" (Does Linus attack you if you say it 3 times in a row or something?) as if its existence flies in the face of morality. So no there are no viable "open" resources for correctly modifying a droid... if there are any then any ****ing douche bag I have encountered so far would have been able to tell me where they are... and yes I know that hackers believe they are "winners" because they have a tiny amount of computer knowledge and use linux or freebsd or whatever and they expect people to bow and scrap and beg for their assistance and expect me to give of my expertise freely in return ( a very lop-sided bargain considering my computer knowledge goes back to the days I was 12 and programming in BASIC ).

In short the current incarnation of hacker is a group of inferiors who band together to give the illusion they possess competence... as a result every time I go to the internet to do research I am greeted by Jethro and his inbred kin who are trying to convince me a C-64 is a 386 and a Droid is an iPhone.

FYI the various governments around the world have terms they use in place of troll such as agitator, terrorist, social deviant, freak, malcontent... and the list goes on so internet tyrants such as yourself do not have a monopoly on the oppression of free speech... you learned from the big boys. Z/Z

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

I almost forgot the primary stumbling block to modifying apps to suit your needs... you need to know every conceivable computer language in existence to do so and even the ones that haven't been invented yet... so yeah... once you know every computer language past present and future you can begin modifying you Droid as you see fit... no biggie... if the hacker hype is to be believed I am sure every ****ing dip-**** hacker can handle every language a program can be written in... I know I can. Z/Z

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SII
    Each to their own. I'm sure you and your ****s would be happier with a 'superior' iPhone. Good luck to you.

I have no doubts that I would be very happy with an iPhone but do yourself a favour and do not lower me to the current level of hacker and assume I have or need an inferior group of hangers-on that I use to dupe people (including myself) into believe I have abilities I do not. We are not Legion. I am pure and watching you and people like you turn My Internet into some boy's club for posers that ruins the reputation of my predecessors disgusts me in a way your kind could never fathom. Z/Z

So, I'm completely at the mercy of a hacker ex who modified not only my home pc but my droid bionic. I've managed to figure out the permissions have been altered but hell if i know which permission to revoke without destroying my phone

well it can be kind of hard to find but you can fore-go the irritation of obtaining a comp sci degree by reinstalling the os... strictly speaking this is considered sacrilege for a pure hacker but for normals it is quick and effective... i have done it a few times for my droid a855... takes a fair bit of persistence and a lot of patience... u need a usb data cable, windows or linux should be fine... a program called rsd (i think) and a factory restore image file for your phone type... make sure to get any important data off your phone b4 you start... then do a query on the net for terms like android, unbrick, rooting, factory default... it may take weeks or months like it did for me (mainly due to broken links and over zealous vendor advocates... god forbid i attempt to install my supposedly free os on the phone i purchased---insert sarcasm)...

if u reply to this message i can browse my bookmarks to give a couple decent links...

z/z