upgrade Android version on Samsung i5500

I've got a Samsung i5500, which was shipped with Android 2.1. I'd really like to upgrade it to version 2.2 cos' 2.1 doesn't include features like wi-fi "tethering" or "becaming access point".

I'm new to android, but I have some year of experience administering linux. (I know Android is not completly Linux... just some of their kernels are similar).

I'd like to know if it would be possible to upgrade version or firmware in a secure way, ideally making a backup of current firmware allowing to rollback if some problem occurs.
    My device is "locked" by the phone company operator. Does this fact implies an extra difficulty?
    Does anybody know some kind of tutorial or how-toS for this task?

Thanks in advanced, regards,
    Matías

Device(s)
    Motorola droid 2 global cyanogenmod9 alpha
    I'm not entirely sure if a backup/rollback will work on a locked phone. From researching your phone should have an ota(over the air) update to froyo(2.2)

Thanks for your reponse.
    I don't have the phone with me right now, but I'll check it out when I get home.
    If telco had released an ota upgrade I think that would be cool, and may be the easiest way of upgrading.

Thanks!!

Device(s)
    If you were willing to root your phone, gingerbread(2.3) is possible via a port of the cyanogenmod rom, rooting would allow a way to backup/restore, but your warranty would be voided.

Last edited by rm -rf *; 04-13-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Well, indeed I rooted that phone. Cos' it has more than an year and a half, so there was no more warranty.
    I just heard about cyanogenmod. Do you know if is there good documentation?

Regards,
    Matías

Device(s)
    I've looked into it there are a few guides for flashing cyanogenmod, but I can't seem to find an .sbf for your phone which would make flashing a new rom risky.

thanks a lot for your research (Y)
    I'll check if is there an ota upgrade available. Otherwise upgrading would by risky.