turn off cell standby

I have a cheapie MID WM8650 M009F tablet. Battery life is very short (about 4-5 hours, doing nothing). Battery use reports ~85% use as "cell standby", but cell capability is not available. The device requires an optional 3G card to access 3G, which is not installed.

How can I turn off cell standby?

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Droidx, Xoom and Comcast MIFI Hotspot
    Did you try settings/applications / all/ cell srandy / force stop?

Original Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by john test View Post
    Did you try settings/applications / all/ cell srandy / force stop?
    I have no such option. Under settings/applications there is only "unknown sources", "Manage applications", "Running services".

Cell standby does not appear under either Manage or Running.

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Cell Standby shows up on my phone android 2.3.3 but not on my Tablet Android 4.0.4. What version of Android are you running?

Original Poster

Hmmm....

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Ust looked at a Kindle Fire. It appears to be running Android 2.3 as well. Don't see a wayy to get in close enough to see if cell standby is showing.. I am guessing that you will have that until you get an upgrade to 3.0 or 4.0.

Quote Originally Posted by john test View Post
    Ust looked at a Kindle Fire. It appears to be running Android 2.3 as well. Don't see a wayy to get in close enough to see if cell standby is showing.. I am guessing that you will have that until you get an upgrade to 3.0 or 4.0.
    I have a MID as well running Android 4 and it has the same problem, short battery life, the only way I get around it is to hold the power switch down until the device powers down. It takes a while to boot when I turn it on again but that's better than a dead machine :-)

Device(s)
    Nexus7
    Explore the question of whether the cell stand-bye and the Wi-Fi radio are essentially the same device. (Just working on different frequencies). I just have a cheap no-name tablet, and I get the impression that you can't really turn off the radio, even when powered down. Just my uneducated opinion.