Thread: Rooting Guide

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Mini. It sucks balls, never buy one ever.

Rooting Guide

If this is going to be an Android tech and advice website, one of the things most people will be coming to the site for will be advice on rooting. It's probably going to make up a lot of the traffic. There's excellent advice elsewhere on the internet about how to do it, on various handsets, with different exceptions considered. Some places explain it better than others. But everyone who has an Android who is computer-savvy enough to navigate here will be interested in doing it, if they haven't already. And it needs to be thoroughly explained.

What this site is going to need is a totally comprehensive guide to rooting, in plain view of people new to the site, every Android handset and OS considered, in very simple terms so that anyone can do it. Rooting is basically a simple process, but varies ever so slightly between each phone and each computer. It should explain the risks and benefits, and suggestions on what to do with a rooted phone afterwards.

THAT's my feedback and advice. What do you think?

Very cool site by the way, I like it.

I see your point and agree, partly. The problem is that with so many available models, having a comprehensive guide for every model is going to be a PITA to collect. If only because of sheer numbers of variations and different models shipping worldwide. An Android device for the US market can/will have a different setup to those on the Asian and European markets, with the latter even more fragmented because of local regulations.

Device(s)
    Toshiba AC100-10U upgraded to 2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Master View Post
    ... a comprehensive guide for every model is going to be a PITA to collect. .
    Agreed! But that's no reason not to try, imho. As a small step towards the Grund Universal Rooting Guide I've started a thread on the Toshiba AC100 here.

Am sifting through different approaches to rooting it and will eventually have a go myself and report the results.

Blog Entries

Device(s)
    Droidx, Xoom and Comcast MIFI Hotspot
    I agree with the concept of a Comprehensive Rooting Guide. Perhaps a Generic Overview with links to specific sites for detailed instruction or perhaps a grouping of android Deivices where the same set of instructions is applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by RaphaelB:193
    But everyone who has an Android who is computer-savvy enough to navigate here will be interested in doing it, if they haven't already. And it needs to be thoroughly explained.
    Not necessarily everyone, but I agree such a guide (guides) would be useful, if it was possible to put it together. I think it would be good if it contained, in addition to technicalities, some information about how rooting may affect the phone usage, for example if a new OS is installed, so the eager rooters would have knowledge of what it means to go ahead and break loose of the "safety" of a stock system