Question How to decide on which app to develop

Hi there,

I currently have 2 ideas to develop an android app but i'm stuck on which one i should focus on. I was hoping someone with some experience can give me a crtieria i should consider when developing mobile applications. Not just for deciding between the ideas i have but any advice on what constitutes a good app and pitfalls i should avoid.

Any advice is appreciatated.

Thanks!

There are some pointers out there do a Google search on app dev and ideas etc... I don't have the time to dig up the links right now but if you still have trouble reply to me and I will do. I just finished writing a long post to another thread and don't have the attention span at the moment.

Device(s)
    HTC G2
    I have the same problem. Obviously I'd like to put my time toward the idea that will be the most successful. So now instead of developing I am putting my time into doing some market research beforehand. I have been browsing the categories in Google Play to see what the top apps are in each category. If I can get a good feel for what people are actually downloading, hopefully I can determine which of my ideas would be the most popular.

I suggest browsing the categories that your apps would be in, and seeing if there are any similar apps to your idea. If there are similar apps, that's a good thing - it means people want to download apps like yours. You just have to make yours a little better than the competition.

I am very interested to hear other developers' strategies.

Quote Originally Posted by badtea View Post
    I have the same problem. Obviously I'd like to put my time toward the idea that will be the most successful. So now instead of developing I am putting my time into doing some market research beforehand. I have been browsing the categories in Google Play to see what the top apps are in each category. If I can get a good feel for what people are actually downloading, hopefully I can determine which of my ideas would be the most popular.

I suggest browsing the categories that your apps would be in, and seeing if there are any similar apps to your idea. If there are similar apps, that's a good thing - it means people want to download apps like yours. You just have to make yours a little better than the competition.

I am very interested to hear other developers' strategies.
    I would like to expand on your suggestion a bit. I agree with your reasoning and approach. I would also try to also look at the areas that aren't already flooded with lots of similar apps so that yours doesn't get lost in the list. Another source to research are within App and/or the Android MarketPlace's user forums and where users post comments about apps they would like to see or functionality they would like to have for existing Apps. This way you can further narrow down what app to develop. Another thing to think about is the general lifespan of apps in that area. Gimicky apps have shorter lives than office tools for instance.

On another note one very interesting tactic to use to keep your app in a user's thoughts and give a good impression regarding support etc... is to provide regular updates for your app. As each new update triggers a message that is sent to the user. I would recommend using this properly though and make your update have a purpose other than to change the version number and as a tacky way to spam your customers. If you have more than one app you can build in a browser instance where the user updates via the MarketPlace where you can have well positioned links to your other snazzy apps. Unless your apps aren't snazzy then to just your other apps. You have to keep up with all the new fandangled sparkly stuff too ya'know, OHH! when I was a lad bread was tu'penny hay'penny, walked to school in'th snow 20miles uphill both ways when I was a lad... Blah... Blah....

Hurrrmppffff...

Thanks all!

i think you should concentrate on 1 app only so you will not miss any important details on the app. good luck! looking forward to your apps!