libdvdcss on android?

Im working on a custom device based around the Motorola Xoom 10.1 tab and need to be able to connect an external usb dvd player..

does the problem lay with the lack of libdvdcss or or is the OS incompatible with loop devices or is it something else?

I am not opposed to removing android and installing a X11 distro but am not sure if this would solve my problem.

If anyone has any info on the exact cause of the inability for Android and particularly the Xoom to play DVDs I would greatly appreciate some help, or at least a hint to what my problem is. I have a good working knowledge of Linux, I am using Fedora 14 now and have used one distro or the other for years so you will not loose me with tech talk.

Any help will be appreciated.

I am no Android developer, but AFAIK libdvcss has nothing to do with X - it just decodes stream.

Being in you shows I would have created a DVD with no encryption - you can do this in many ways; as content you can, for example, record your screen on a PC.

Then I would have tried to achieve playback of this DVD under Android.

Thanks for the response... my end goal is to have a device that I will be able to "dock" my tablet into and this dock will be connected to an entertainment system (the easy part) and also an external DVD player.
    This device will be sold to the general public so it needs to be able to play any DVD inserted so decoding one DVD at a time would not be feasible.
    So in your opinion am I on the wrong track trying to load libdvdcss on to my android tab? Will it not fix my problem or, as I suspect, are the DVD librarys for my generic linux distro incompatible with android?

Sorry for the 20 ?s...

Thanks again for any tips.

You are on a premature track. You seem to miss that I've suggested to decompose your problem into two problems:

1) can a DVD at at all be played ?
    2) can a DVD be decrypted ?

I.e. you need to solve first problems first.

By the way, on a Linux box encrypted DVD without 'libdvdcss' still plays, just the picture is gibberish.

Regarding selling your device to general public - I see a lot of Android-based media centers on Chinese sites like DealExtreme, FocalPrice, GadgetsDealer, etc. I don't know whether they play DVDs though.

Look at 'ffmpeg' - maybe there is an Android port and 'ffmpeg' plays "everything".

I've gotten it to read data DVDs but not play the .vobs

I've tried looking for ports of the likes of ffmpeg and vlc without luck, I do understand an android vlc port is in the works... unless I become much smarter all of the sudden I may just have to wait for that.

I am not opposed to completely removing the android OS and installing a light weight distro as a work around but I understand that this option is unstable at best...

Quote Originally Posted by dirbyjr View Post
    I've gotten it to read data DVDs but not play the .vobs

I've tried looking for ports of the likes of ffmpeg and vlc without luck, I do understand an android vlc port is in the works... unless I become much smarter all of the sudden I may just have to wait for that.

I am not opposed to completely removing the android OS and installing a light weight distro as a work around but I understand that this option is unstable at best...
    If you want to get results quickly, go with Linux - because you know it. OTOH, are you sure Linux will install smoothly ?

With Linux X with whatever desktop environment be convenient to use with touchscreen (if you have one) ?

that's the problem,im not sure it will install smoothly. But there is only one way to find out...

I've seen it done and think I can make it work. Also I do have touch screen and Gnome 3 is supposed to work great for tab, I've been using it on my fedora box for a while now and I think it is a good alternative. Gnome3 isn't exactly the lightest weight of the desktop environments and that is another consideration.

Anyway, I don't know if we've got too far on my problem but it always helps bouncing ideas off of someone.

Thanks for the help Sergei, I'll post any updates and if you or anyone else out there can think of anything I'm overlooking, cause I'm sure I'm overlooking something, please let me know...

I am not sure how far this project has gone or if it works at all, but it might give you some inspiration anyway. And yes, libdvdcss is a part of it.

https://github.com/ajeet17181