Talking Android tablet to replace home intercom

Hi there!

I am renovating my place and decided to either upgrade or change the old phone style intercom that has become ugly and yellow due to the former's landlord who used to smoke...

I am thinking to install an android tablet. The tablet would have to perform basic intercom tasks such as ring when someone presses the intercom button outside (the doorbell), it would have to provide audio both ways, but not video as there are no cameras outside. It would also act as a small picture frame for slideshows, and provide local weather. Quite useful.

I think its doable. There is already a 15V power line available where the tablet would sit.

Anybody care to give recommendations, and comments? I am not 100 % sure how to proceed, or if its simply feasible. Google did not provide satisfying results but I still believe with the array of electronics out there, that it is possible.

I understand at least that I would need some piece of hardware to convert the signal from the outside panel to a computer signal so the tablet "reacts". Also required in the other direction, that is, speak with the tablet and its sent to the panel somehow...

You see, I am not sure and definitely need help! Anyways, I think its a nice little project that wouldn't be too $$$$$...

Thanks!

Nobody? Anybody good with electronics? If its not the right place to ask about this project, please let me know ASAP I wont waste my time here and people's time...

Quote Originally Posted by lpallard View Post
    Nobody? Anybody good with electronics? If its not the right place to ask about this project, please let me know ASAP I wont waste my time here and people's time...
    This site is still in beta I guess... check out house automation sites/forums...x10.com is one. Goodluck.