Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S i9000 International

Samsung Galaxy S i9000 WHAT ROM?

Haha. Its the old question! But I thought I'd start this to find out what people are using and whether they are happy or not. For me it's a very difficult thing to find roms that are good and stable and will suit my tastes. I've had my i9000 for a few months now and have tried to keep whichever rom I'm trying on my phone for at least a few weeks before letting the addiction take over and move me onto something else.
    So, I began with the bog standard Froyo that came on the phone. Managed to keep that running for about a week.
    Moved onto the Samsung Gingerbread 2.3.3 JVK rom that was leaked. This was a rock solid rom but my phone was slow and a little laggy. Managed about a month.
    Installed Simply Honey 3.6 Gingerbread 2.3.3. This is a really great rom in my opinion. Had really no issues at all. Also ran that for about a month before deciding I needed to try something that removes Samsungs Touchwizz overlay.
    Now have MIUI MCGv6 which is Gingerbread 2.3.4 running the Glitch kernel OC'd to 1.2GHz. It's definitely not the most stable solution I've tried and has crashes and spontaneous restarts here and there, but my phone is FAST (quadrant score 1800+) and I really love that it comes with no overlays and almost no bloat software to jam up the works. Had it going for about a week now. Think I'll keep it a while, too.

I would really love to hear what other people are doing....

Changing the OS on your phone

Hi,

I found your post interesting and that brought a few questions to me.

I never tried to change the software on a phone. All I did was to download and run a few applications. So I am still using Froyo on my Galaxy S.
    I am happy with it but your post makes me think that it would be at least very educational to change it. But I have a few questions first.

Changing for MIUI MCGv6, will that have any impact with my phone subscription?
    Would I have to reinstall the software that I have downloaded and configured (I spent quite some time entering the data in Password Safe Lite and I would prefer not to have to do it again)
    And finally, what site would you recommend with instructions on how to perform the ROM change.

Thanks a lot

Mario

Quote Originally Posted by doonit View Post
    Haha. Its the old question! But I thought I'd start this to find out what people are using and whether they are happy or not. For me it's a very difficult thing to find roms that are good and stable and will suit my tastes. I've had my i9000 for a few months now and have tried to keep whichever rom I'm trying on my phone for at least a few weeks before letting the addiction take over and move me onto something else.
    So, I began with the bog standard Froyo that came on the phone. Managed to keep that running for about a week.
    Moved onto the Samsung Gingerbread 2.3.3 JVK rom that was leaked. This was a rock solid rom but my phone was slow and a little laggy. Managed about a month.
    Installed Simply Honey 3.6 Gingerbread 2.3.3. This is a really great rom in my opinion. Had really no issues at all. Also ran that for about a month before deciding I needed to try something that removes Samsungs Touchwizz overlay.
    Now have MIUI MCGv6 which is Gingerbread 2.3.4 running the Glitch kernel OC'd to 1.2GHz. It's definitely not the most stable solution I've tried and has crashes and spontaneous restarts here and there, but my phone is FAST (quadrant score 1800+) and I really love that it comes with no overlays and almost no bloat software to jam up the works. Had it going for about a week now. Think I'll keep it a while, too.

I would really love to hear what other people are doing....

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S i9000 International

Original Poster
    Hey Mario.

The first thing to be aware of is that installing a custom rom voids your warranty!!! Saying that, my phone had to go to Samsung to have the screen replaced. I was really worried that I would have to pay for it because of the custom rom with REALLY obvious boot screen, but no one mentioned a thing and the phone was repaired free of charge. Be aware, though.

Probably the best place to find all info about android would xda-developers.com.

Yes! Unfortunately, 95 times out of 100, you'll need to be wiping your phone back to factory when installing a custom rom. There are apps for backing up other apps (my-backup, etc) but it's not always a good idea to re-install application data along with those app, especially if you have gone to a completely different version of android. Maybe there's some way to back up your safe application seperately to other apps on your phone? For the most part, reinstalling all my apps from the beginning has been part of the fun. Contacts, calendar and other Google type data can easily be re-synced back to the phone.

Hope that answers your questions.

Changing the OS on your phone

Thank you Doonit,
    That answered my question. I may try it soon. I'll keep you posted.