See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Device(s)
    Nexus7

The Post Effects of Rooting a Tablet

I just recently received a Nexus 7 as a present and I am experimenting with it. I do NOT intend to root it anytime soon; but I would like like to get an idea of how the tablet would work after (post) rooting.

The video tutorial on rooting the Nexus7 made it clear that the device gets wiped. Clearly that means that you will have to re-build your configuration. Still there are unanswered questions as to what that means.

1. Will the Android operating system continue to be automatically upgraded with new releases? The reason that I ask that is that the hard drive on my daughter's Viao crashed. We had a new hard drive installed, but it is NO longer recognized by Sony as a Viao computer.

2. Some applications are bought, such as Dictionary.com. Can these applications really be "saved" and then "restored" to the post rooted device? Or do you have to re-buy these applications?

3. Any other issues a person should be aware of before rooting?

Device(s)
    Nexus 7, Nexus 4, LG Optimus V
    What is meant by wiped is that it is like a factory reset. This happens when you unlock your device. All apps and data are lost. Now with that said, - - when you go through the initial set up of the tablet, as soon as you sign in to your google account, it will "restore" your apps, but not any data. Before unlocking and rooting (I suggest trying the wugfresh program, which is what I used on my nexus 7) if you have a lot of data, then you could do a backup using ADB. IIRC, there is info about that at xda developers.

The android system will still get updated, some say that it would then need to be rerooted after the update, I'm not sure as I updated to 4.2.2 before rooting - so haven't had an update happen to see if it will need to be rerooted or not.
    Also, unrelated to your tablet, but you did mention about the Sony vaio - if after installing a new hard drive - if you reinstall from your backup discs (usually made when you first set up your vaio) then sony should recognize the computer for vaio care etc.

Your apps will be "saved" and "restored" when you sign in to your tablet with your google account.

As for any other issues before rooting - just make sure to backup any data you want saved. Otherwise rooting is painless and opens up many other uses for the nexus 7. I went with an OTG cable and use a portable external hard drive to put movies on, then watch them on the nexus. This can be done using apps like stickmount and linda manager. For a video player, use the dice player and there is a custom setup out there so it will play movies with dts too. My friend and his wife both have nexus 7's and we unlocked and rooted both of them with no problems.

1 members found this post helpful.

Device(s)
    Nexus7

Original Poster
    Thanks very much for the reply. Here's an interesting twist. Ubuntu now loves the tablet, alongside the phone, PC and TV. Ubuntu can now be installed onto the Nexus.

Device(s)
    Nexus 7, Nexus 4, LG Optimus V
    Yep, ubuntu is using the nexus 7 for their test platform. It is easier to work the bugs out when working with only one type of tablet, versus many different brands/hardware configurations. I've researched the ubuntu on tablets and that is one reason I went with a nexus 7 (besides the nexus being more of a tablet than some of the others I considered at around the same price point).
    My goal is to start working with ubuntu on the nexus 7 within the next couple of months. I still have a few things I want to do in Android first.

Rooting does not wipe apps and data. Unlocking the boot loader and beyond (installing a custom rom for example) does.

You might want to root to gain full access to all of the files on the system and to be able to run apps that require root access. Titanium backup for example.