LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2001, 05:04 AM   #1
minor

Distribution: Mandrake

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question Redundant Mail Server

Hi ! I would like to do redundant mail server, have any suggestion? just add one more MX record in DNS or need do more something? Thanks!

minor

Old 07-12-2001, 05:59 AM   #2
jharris

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHES

Rep: Reputation: 47
You can just setup a second server and add another MX record. If they've got the same MX presendence then you'll need to address the issue of getting the mail delievered to the same place as you won't know which mail server the mail will be delieverd too. Have a read of the following threads then post specific questions / comments back here.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...&threadid=3306
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...&threadid=3840

HTH - good luck. If I see any more relevant threads I'll update this post.

Jamie...

Old 07-12-2001, 09:43 PM   #3
minor

Original Poster
Talking how about the second server setup

Thanks for your reply! And how about the second server setup? Do I need setup the second server same as primary server configuration? And will second server replace the role automatically when the primary server down? Can I receive mail(from client side) when the primary server down? And do the mail files (ie /var/spool/mail/<--user-->) sync. from second server to primary server when the primary server back to normal? Thanks!

Old 07-13-2001, 03:25 AM   #4
jharris

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHES

Rep: Reputation: 47
You can just setup the servers to be identical, thats what I'd do. The second server will be used when the first server (the one with the lower value MX record) is unavailable, either because its down, or because its busy. Thats dealt with by the machine that is relaying to your domain, it not something you need to worry about. There won't be any syncing between the two machines, infact I don't their they'll even know the other exists, hence the conversations in the linked threads (above in previous post) about working out a way to share a spool directory. It might be worth sending a message to one of the people who started those threads to find out if they came to a definitive solution.

HTH

Jamie...

Old 07-20-2001, 11:17 AM   #5
minor

Original Poster
Question MX record

I already set the MX record like this,

domain.com IN MX 10 mail01.domain.com
IN MX 20 mail02.domain.com

does this record correct? If I would like to the first reply mail server is mail01.domain.com and mail02.domain.com is secord. And if right, what's the reply IP when I ping domain.com if the mail01.domain.com is down? Is it reply the mail01.domain.com IP or mail02.domain.com IP? Thanks!