LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-19-2000, 03:03 PM   #1
hideo
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

Right, I want to set up a decent home network. I have been using Linux on and off for about six months now, and am doing pretty well, so I have high ideas about how to go about this. I currently have two machines, with another one on the way soon (hopefully) and this is what I would like:
One machine has a modem in, this will be on most of the time and will be the machine I use most of the time. It is pretty well specced.
The other machine will be used mostly by my girlfriend, who wants to use Windows.

Both machines have 3Com 3c509b ethernet cards in them.

I have three email accounts with three different ISPs, I would like to set up a local web server, so I can download all the mails to the local server and use IMAP to connect to that from either of the machines. (I figure this way I don't have to worry about fetchmail problems with the `nokeep' option (or not `keep'), which doesn't work on one of the ISPs servers).

I have managed to figure out the networking side (I can browse the net from the non-modem machine), but I am not sure where to start with the web server. I tried using sendmail for just the single machine, but when I tried to send mail it bounced back saying it could not find the host (I couldn't figure out how to send it to my ISP instead of trying to send it direct). I have had a look at qmail, but it says I have to have a working DNS setup (yikes!), which I would prefer to avoid. Fetchmail works, but I don't know how to get the second machine see the local copy.

All sugestions are very welcome.

TIA

Ben

Old 11-21-2000, 12:07 PM   #2
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080
From what I understand you want to download all of you emails (from 3 different ISPs) to your Linux machine and be able to check it from any of the other machines? I would just setup fetchmail to get all of your mail and store it on the Linux machine. Then setup an IMAP server to get your mail from the Linux machine to the others. There is no reason to use the Linux machine for outgoing mail, just continue to use your ISPs smtp server. If I misunderstood your intentions please let me know.

Old 11-29-2000, 12:43 PM   #3
hideo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Jeremy,
Thanks for your reply. That is pretty much what I want to do, but the on the Linux machine I want to use Mutt to read and send mail.

Then comes the next bit I was having trouble with. One of my ISPs will only receive emails if I am currently using their dial-up, which I never do because I have to pay connection charges for it. I had a thought that if I use sendmail, or similar, to send the emails that are from that account I could by-pass the ISPs server altogether.

From what I understand this involves local email server looking up MX records for the destination and talking directly to that server whilst rewriting the headers of the mail to appear that it came from the ISP(?) Currently sendmail does not seem to be able to talk to either the ISP's server or any other server, so all outgoing mails are bounced back.

Can anyone clarify this and/or point me in the direction of some useful help.

Thanks again

Ben