LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > Programming
User Name
Password
Programming This forum is for all programming questions.
The question does not have to be directly related to Linux and any language is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2000, 01:30 AM   #1
tony
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Cool

I am new to linux and want some information about programming in commandmline linux. This incolving graphics and text applications. I am used to dos but want to
utilize what a 32bit or 64 bit command line enviroment can offer.

do I call a graphics mode.
what picture extensions do I use.
What sound extenstions do I use with Linux.
What video format would I use with linux
Where can I get information and sample linux programs dealing with bliting, sound and gaming and graphics functions.
What does gcc c++ offer graphic and gaming wise and do I need anything else.
What are some graphic and gaming algorithms that are used generically with Linux.

Old 11-21-2000, 12:28 PM   #2
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083
Have you checked out SVGAlib? Here is a quote from the SVGAlib website.
Quote:
What is SVGAlib?

SVGAlib is a low-level graphics library for Linux. It augments the C programming language, which doesn't provide support for graphics.

But there are lots of graphics programs written in C!

Yes, but they all rely on external library functions. C itself can only give you text. That's because all graphic functions are system dependent and are non-portable. Unfortunately, graphic routines coded for one operating system will not work under another unless they are completely rewritten. For example, graphics originally written for DOS or Windows are useless under Linux.

To code graphics in C under Linux, it is necessary to use an external set of functions which are native to Linux. SVGAlib is one such set.
More information can be found at http://www.svgalib.org (a good place to start is http://www.svgalib.org/jay/beginners...ers_guide.html).