LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Security
User Name
Password
Linux - Security This forum is for all security related questions.
Questions, tips, system compromises, firewalls, etc. are all included here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2001, 08:13 PM   #1
October
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 8.0

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question Send DCC with Xchat?

I'm a linux n00bie but here it goes:

I'm running Mandrake 8.0 with latest Tinyfirewall (installed by default) and Bastille-Firewall.

File transfers of all kinds seem to work (licq, ftp, etc.) and I can *recieve* dcc transfers in Xchat but I cannot send them. Transfer always shows "queued" and then it fails with the error "could not connect".

Help?

Old 07-09-2001, 07:23 AM   #2
raz

Rep: Reputation: 31
I would check the Tinyfirewall FAQ to see if you need to load a module to allow DCC to port through your firewall.

or look for similar problems as described here from a FAQ about NAT on linux

7.25 ( DCC ) - mIRC doesn't work with DCC Sends
This is a configuration problem on your copy of mIRC. To fix this, first disconnect mIRC from the IRC server. Now in mIRC, go to File --> Setup and click on the "IRC servers tab". Make sure that it is set to port 6667. If you require other ports, see below. Next, goto File --> Setup --> Local Info and clear the fields for Local Host and IP Address. Now select the checkboxes for "LOCAL HOST" and "IP address" (IP address may be checked but disabled). Next under "Lookup Method", configure it for "normal". It will NOT work if "server" is selected. That's it. Try to the IRC server again.

If you require IRC server ports other than 6667, (for example, 6969) you need to edit the /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall startup file where you load the IRC MASQ modules. Edit this file and the line for "modprobe ip_masq_irc" and add to this line "ports=6667,6969". You can add additional ports as long as they are separated with commas.

Finally, close down any IRC clients on any MASQed machines and re-load the IRC MASQ module:

/sbin/rmmod ip_masq_irc /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall

/Raz

Old 07-09-2001, 10:03 AM   #3
October
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 8.0

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Many thanks for the reply, raz.

I have yet to find any specific information (FAQ, etc.) on Mandrake's Tinyfirewall. Might be time to dig through their ftp server and see if there isn't something there perhaps.

Old 07-09-2001, 11:27 PM   #4
jrmann1999

Distribution: Slackware, Mandrake, LFS

Rep: Reputation: 30
Jesus Christ, I've been fighting this IP_NAT_IRC problem for weeks(including signing up for the netfilter group) and have gotten 0 responce. Raz I have to give you props, that whole Server vs. Normal lookup in mIRC fixed EVERYTHING. How messed up is it that if you do a server lookup iptables will drop the packet, but normal(of course ID'ing my local IP) will work perfect. Thanks a million.

J