LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2001, 02:34 AM   #1
schurma
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

I have a cable modem and do not understand the information needed to set up sendmail to receive messages. I don't know what my host is. What is the host? I can receive mail under Outlook Express. How do I set up sendmail?

Old 04-15-2001, 12:50 PM   #2
crabboy

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
Are you trying to run your own mail server, or do you need a mail client for linux?

If you don't have a didicated linux box on the internet 24/7 with a domain name, you may not want to run sendmail on your box. Sendmail is fairly complicated. From modifying the config file to setting MX records on the DNS servers, you really need to have a good understanding of how internet mail works before you can fully understand how to configure everything.

If you do want to run a mail server; have a dedicated linux box; static IP and domain name then this sounds like a good learning project. For starters, you should lookup all the HOW-TO documents on internet mail. There are several at http://www.linuxdoc.org in the howto section. Then you can look at sendmail configuration specifically.

I like running my own mail server. It lets you receive any size email the other server is willing to send and it's great for fast mail downloads to my mail client, which happens to be MS Outlook Express. And with Apache running I can also run a web mail client, so I can view emails anywhere I have a browser.

Good Luck

Gary

Old 04-15-2001, 10:00 PM   #3
schurma
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by crabboy
Are you trying to run your own mail server, or do you need a mail client for linux?

If you don't have a didicated linux box on the internet 24/7 with a domain name, you may not want to run sendmail on your box. Sendmail is fairly complicated. From modifying the config file to setting MX records on the DNS servers, you really need to have a good understanding of how internet mail works before you can fully understand how to configure everything.

If you do want to run a mail server; have a dedicated linux box; static IP and domain name then this sounds like a good learning project. For starters, you should lookup all the HOW-TO documents on internet mail. There are several at http://www.linuxdoc.org in the howto section. Then you can look at sendmail configuration specifically.

I like running my own mail server. It lets you receive any size email the other server is willing to send and it's great for fast mail downloads to my mail client, which happens to be MS Outlook Express. And with Apache running I can also run a web mail client, so I can view emails anywhere I have a browser.

Good Luck

Gary
I'm not trying to run a mail server. I just have linux and windows on the same box. 2 hard drives. I just want to be able to receive mail through my ISP email account and don't know what info I need to do this.

Old 04-15-2001, 11:12 PM   #4
crabboy

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
It sounds like you are just looking for a POP3 client for Linux. You can use it just to download, view and send your mail. To do this you do not need sendmail at all.

You can search for a client with criteria such as "POP3 client for linux"; search this board with a "POP" or wait for someone on this board to suggest a good one. And as always the HOW-TOs are also a good place to look.

Gary

Old 04-16-2001, 06:03 PM   #5
schurma
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanx Gary. I appreciate it!