LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2001, 01:58 PM   #1
OpenGL
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

Hi guys , need a little advice here.
I installed Linux Mandrake 7.2 on my laptop a few days ago to coexist with Win98. So right now, I have a dual boot machine. (Win98 and Mandrake) My laptop has an internal Winmodem which is supported under win98 but not under Linux. So right now I can only surf the net under Win98.
My question is what is the most efficient way to download files to my linux. I mean, is it better for me to buy an external modem so that I can surf under Linux or is it better for me to download files under Win98 and somehow transfer those files to Linux?( By the way, I don't know how.)
I am a complete newbie to Linux, so I need some advice from you guys. Thanks a lot!

Old 05-18-2001, 04:14 PM   #2
jharris

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHES

Rep: Reputation: 47
The best way in the long run would be to get a modem that works under linux, however you can just download things to your C: drive under Windows and get those file from linux.

Linux will mount your Windows partition the same way it does a linux one. Assuming that you had a c: partition as /dev/hda1 and the rest of the disk containing your linux (or other) partition(s) you could just type the following (as root).

mount /dev/hda1 /someDir

All of your Windows files are now magically available under Linux by going to the /someDir directory Cool eh?

This relies on vfat support being in your kernel, it probably is already. You might need to tell it what the partition type is, if you get this moan then try

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /someDir

If you want to mount your Windows partition everytime you boot have a look at /etc/fstab the format is dead simple to follow, the worst you can do by adding a naff line is get an error message at startup, just don't trash the existing lines - things will quickly stop working!

HTH

Jamie...

Old 05-18-2001, 07:18 PM   #3
OpenGL
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Smile

Thanks a lot