LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2001, 09:27 AM   #1
_TK_

Rep: Reputation: 15

I have red hat 7 running on an internal network. Ip masquerade, samba, sshd etc..

I can connect on the local network to the linux box via ssh no problem but can't connect outside from the web. Yet there is an active internet connection via the linux box, thats how I connect to the web with my windows system.

Here is a listing from the message log from the attempted connection, note the actual ip addresses have been edited:

Feb 5 09:18:03 localhost kernel: Packet log: input DENY ppp0 PROTO=6 145.xx.x.xx:1021 64.xxx.x.xx:22 L=60 S=0x00 I=21044 F=0x4000 T
=45 SYN (#2)

The user trying to connect gets the message: "Connection closed by foreign host"

Being fairly new at this, I would like to know how to begin to diagnose where the problem lies. Anyhelp would be appreciated.

[Edited by _TK_ on 02-05-2001 at 10:32 AM]

Old 02-06-2001, 05:20 AM   #2
devnull

As root, type "ipchains -L" on the RedHat-Box.
(Or do a "/etc/init.d/ipchains status")
What do you see there?

Quote:
Originally posted by _TK_
I have red hat 7 running on an internal network. Ip masquerade, samba, sshd etc..

I can connect on the local network to the linux box via ssh no problem but can't connect outside from the web. Yet there is an active internet connection via the linux box, thats how I connect to the web with my windows system.

Here is a listing from the message log from the attempted connection, note the actual ip addresses have been edited:

Feb 5 09:18:03 localhost kernel: Packet log: input DENY ppp0 PROTO=6 145.xx.x.xx:1021 64.xxx.x.xx:22 L=60 S=0x00 I=21044 F=0x4000 T
=45 SYN (#2)

The user trying to connect gets the message: "Connection closed by foreign host"

Being fairly new at this, I would like to know how to begin to diagnose where the problem lies. Anyhelp would be appreciated.

[Edited by _TK_ on 02-05-2001 at 10:32 AM]

Old 02-06-2001, 10:29 PM   #3
_TK_

Original Poster
working now :)

Found out that it ssh was listening on a local network address. So after adjusting the sshd_conf file it works fine now. Just took about 3 days to figure that out!

Old 04-27-2001, 06:16 PM   #4
rogerb56
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
telnet - connection closed by foreign host

I have a similar problem, only worse. Last week, I could telnet into my work machines with no problem. This week, I get the "connection closed by foreign host" message. I have checked all the standard areas. I have a new DSL connection, that up to now was working OK. When I revert to standard modem dial-up (sigh), telnet works fine. When I call my ISP to see what has changed on their end, they say nothing has changed, and oh by the way, they know nothing about Linux (no suprise). Now, we have been experimenting with SSH on the work machines, but if this were the problem, dial up connection would not work. Any clues?

Thanks,