LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2000, 01:03 AM   #1
chin
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy

I setup my dialup and use root for connecting to Internet. But it should be unencourage to do this. Thus, I setup another account to do this but with an error of "no privilege". I use "kppp" to setup a connection. Where can I find and how assigning the privilege to the account for dialup connection? Many thanks for your help!

Old 10-16-2000, 09:10 AM   #2
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083
The first thing to do is make sure that pppd is setuid root. This means that no matter what user executes pppd it will run as root. If you type "ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd" you should see something like
Code:
-rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root        95225 Jul 11 00:27 /usr/sbin/pppd
If it is not setuid root type the following command (as root):
Code:
chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd
Also, I THINK kppp uses an access file (/etc/kppp.allow if I recall correctly). Make sure the username you are trying to dial in as is in this file.