LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > Programming
User Name
Password
Programming This forum is for all programming questions.
The question does not have to be directly related to Linux and any language is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2001, 01:14 PM   #1
Thomas_Delrue

Rep: Reputation: 15
Post Building Linux

Hello...

I am a windows-programmer, switching to Linux... Now, I know Linux is (almost) totally open-source, so that you can recompile every bit or byte in your OS...

can anyOne tell me (or get me an online tutorial) how to (for instance) recompile (after modifying) the KDE or the Konquerer or anything...

Thanks...

P.S.: if you could give me some information on how to open the files (regarding to projects; like .dsw files in MS Visual Studio) so that you have an easy IDE to work in... (just to let you know, I'm used to MS-VS)

Old 07-12-2001, 12:39 AM   #2
isajera

Rep: Reputation: 45
most packages come with compilation instructions. i've never bothered to hack around with KDE, so i couldn't really help too much with that, but the vast majority of open source programs are packed together using GNU's autoconf and automake programs. it would help for you to read up on those a bit, but you don't really need to know too much about them right away.

as far as opening the files goes, it's mostly just text editors. C is the defacto programming language of linux... probably 99% of all linux programs are C or C++. if you want to play around with a software package, you need to download the source. the code that you'll want to change will usually be in a "src" directory. there's not really a graphic interface for programming C in linux, it's pretty much all text editing.