LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2001, 07:39 AM   #1
gopher
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
XServer hard lockup after boot

Hey...

I've been searching for a solution to this problem, but I have been unsuccessful...

I just installed RedHat 7.1 on an old P133. During installation, the xserver setup goes great, and seems to work like a champ. After the system finishes installation and reboots, things go all wrong.

I get to the graphical login screen, but I can't move the mouse or type on the keyboard. I know it's not the keyboard, since I can type during boot.

Any ideas? Is a P133 with 128MB RAM and a Matrox Millenium not enough horsepower for RH7.1?

Some more info that *might* be useful: I used to have a KVM in the loop, and the keystroke combo to switch systems would be *especially* slow switching from RH7.1 back to my NT system (all this is during the xserver lockup condition).

Hmmm...

Old 07-06-2001, 05:15 PM   #2
isajera

Rep: Reputation: 45
try booting to the text login. login to root and then try to run "startx." if it doesn't start, post the errors it returns and we'll be able to help you more specifically. personally, i've never seen x or linux do a hard lockup; that's something that's usually reserved for microsoft programs. if it does another lockup, try "ctrl-alt-bksp" to kill the x-server.
use the simplest graphics mode you can; just see if you can get it working first, then worry about getting it working better.

Old 07-07-2001, 03:29 PM   #3
AzrielMacKay

Distribution: Debian and Kubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 30
I had that problem with mandrake also, and the only way i found to fix it wus removing kdm

Old 09-20-2001, 04:45 AM   #4
abdulmecid
LQ Newbie

me too!

im installing slackware linux, on a 6**mhz pentium maching
i ran xf86config and everything seems to go well then I startx
and it starts graphical login. first off it is displayed at 320Xsomething so its really small and at first the mouse sits in the middle but as soon as i move it it shoots up to the top left or right of the screen and i can still move it but only arnound the edges of the screen. ive been working on it for a couple of days now and no matter how i configure xf86config it does the same.
Im am fairly new to linux setup. plz let me know if you have any ideas.
-Aaron

Old 09-21-2001, 09:36 AM   #5
Aussie

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 58
Re: me too!

Quote:
Originally posted by abdulmecid
im installing slackware linux, on a 6**mhz pentium maching
i ran xf86config and everything seems to go well then I startx
and it starts graphical login. first off it is displayed at 320Xsomething so its really small and at first the mouse sits in the middle but as soon as i move it it shoots up to the top left or right of the screen and i can still move it but only arnound the edges of the screen. ive been working on it for a couple of days now and no matter how i configure xf86config it does the same.
Im am fairly new to linux setup. plz let me know if you have any ideas.
-Aaron
What sort of mouse do you have?

Old 09-21-2001, 09:42 AM   #6
Aussie

Re: XServer hard lockup after boot

Quote:
Originally posted by gopher
Hey...

I've been searching for a solution to this problem, but I have been unsuccessful...

I just installed RedHat 7.1 on an old P133. During installation, the xserver setup goes great, and seems to work like a champ. After the system finishes installation and reboots, things go all wrong.

I get to the graphical login screen, but I can't move the mouse or type on the keyboard. I know it's not the keyboard, since I can type during boot.

Any ideas? Is a P133 with 128MB RAM and a Matrox Millenium not enough horsepower for RH7.1?

Some more info that *might* be useful: I used to have a KVM in the loop, and the keystroke combo to switch systems would be *especially* slow switching from RH7.1 back to my NT system (all this is during the xserver lockup condition).

Hmmm...
What isajera said, boot to run level 3 (console) and then do "startx"<enter> after that have a look at /var/log/XFree86.#.log (where # is the version of XFree you have) and then that will tell you what is causing the problem.

Old 09-22-2001, 11:27 AM   #7
Ascii King
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Suse

I've had this problem

Your linux isn't locking up, it just isn't accepting commands from the mouse or keyboard.

I have had this same problem, but with Windows 95. I have a KVM switch and was using it when I set up the machine. As soon as it was set up, I took it off of the KVM switch and now it won't recognize the mouse.

I am willing to bet that if you put the switch back in, everything will work again. I think that the KVM switch sends some different kind of signal for the mouse than the actual port does. KVM sends 'keep alive' signals and what not I imagine.

Try running your x windows configuration (SAX, XFConfig) without the switch. If that doesn't work then I suggest running it again without the switch but choose the WRONG keyboard and mouse drivers. Run X windows (won't work of course) then go back and re-run XFConfig choosing the CORRECT drivers. Hopefully this will remove any leftover settings from the KVM switch.

Old 09-22-2001, 11:29 AM   #8
Ascii King
LQ Newbie

Question Keystroke Combo

By the way, what is the keystroke combo for switching screens? I have lost my documentation and spent a night searching the web for it with no luck.

Old 09-22-2001, 12:17 PM   #9
Aussie

Do you mean switching to tty2? or changing resolution? Switching to tty2 or 3 etc is <Ctrl><Alt><F#> and switching resolutions is <Ctrl><Alt><+>...I think....

Old 09-22-2001, 08:53 PM   #10
Ascii King
LQ Newbie

Thanks Aussie, but I actually meant the key combo to switch between computers on the KVM switch box. I wasn't very clear.

Old 09-22-2001, 08:57 PM   #11
Aussie

ic