LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2001, 11:26 AM   #1
Cannon
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question Change of heart, or distros!!

I have just recently managed to get RH 7 to install, thanx to a little hard work as i'm on eo f the (un)lucky buggers w/ a ATA100 H/D, after much faffing and passing the address of my H/D to the installer I eventually got it installed, the thing is I know want to change to Suse 7.1 as this already has the 2.4 Kernal and KDE 2 in with it and is the distro that caused me to start experimenting with Linux!

I have a dual boot system with Win ME taking up 38GB and Linux taking up the other 7GB.
Would I just be able to install Suse 7.1 in the same partitions I have already created for RH (doesn't the installer format the partitions first?) or will I have to uninstall RH and re-install Suse in the now empty partitions?

Old 05-09-2001, 01:23 PM   #2
Dallam

Distribution: SuSE 7.1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Hi,
I use SuSE 7.1 and I believe it will setup the partitions you need for you, including formating. I am assuming you mean 7.1 personal. The full install of this can be about 4 gb's and it is loaded with stuff.
Dallam

Old 05-09-2001, 01:27 PM   #3
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Actually to let you know, RedHat 7.1 is out and has the 2.4 kernel and has KDE 2 packaged with it.
Plus, if you keep your existing partitions it is always best to reformat them, but all you need to do is start the installation, rename your partitions according to their sizes or whatever and then install and its always good to reformat before installing the packages and carrying on with the install.

Old 05-10-2001, 08:55 AM   #4
ionic
LQ Newbie

Post RH7 compabitility

Personally, I like Mandrake due to it's simplify than RH7. After installing RH7, it give me a lot of headaches just to config my Geforce 2. It's a famous card and yet it is not supported. Why?

Old 05-12-2001, 12:45 PM   #5
Cannon
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Cool UPDATE!!

Just letting u know that i've now got hold of the Suse 7.1 distro, it's only the evaluation edition but it should do as it has what i need and i have what ever else i need (KDE 2.1) on CD/DVD.

I have a GeForce 2 GTS and only seemed to have problems setting up my monitot despite trying to manually set it up supplying the exact refresh rate numbers given in my manual, never the less I still have a working X Server so I can't complain, just gotta start on the bloody SB Live card now, although I do have the Creative drivers for it now!!

Will post again if I get it installed successfully, I think I'll try booting from the CD and re-naming/sizing my current partitions!!

Old 05-12-2001, 04:21 PM   #6
Dallam

Distribution: SuSE 7.1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Good to hear Cannon, May the Source be with you )