LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2001, 03:47 PM   #1
stroh78
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Talking mail server w/ global address book

I'm trying to upgrade a freaking win95 machine running microsoft mail on a pentium 75 w/ 16megs of RAM. This is our internal mail server, it's pretty stable but give me a break. Obviously I'd like to use linux. I've set up linux mail servers before using sendmail, however all of the clients here (running outlook) are used to the shared address book. I've heard of several good solutions including HP Openmail and Bynari tradeserver, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any free solutions?? Also, for now I'm trying to avoid LDAP.
Thanks

Old 07-07-2001, 04:01 PM   #2
mcleodnine

Distribution: s l a c k w a r e

Rep: Reputation: 45
Oh.

I was going to say "Use LDAP".

Damn.

How does LookOut share the address book? Isn't it just a shared file on the mail machine? Have you looked at Samba?

I would tell 'em that a decent mail server runs around seven grand and let them mull that one over. Then you tell them you can build one for under a grand. (PIII/256MB/coupla IDEs)

Last edited by mcleodnine; 07-07-2001 at 04:06 PM.