LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2001, 07:54 AM   #1
swift
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
dhcp

Hi ,

We have a nt machine that ass. ip addy . I have a red hat box which is not getting a ip addy , i am trying to log in to the nt domain i have setup smb.conf with no luck any ideas ... ?

tHx

Old 07-25-2001, 08:19 AM   #2
jharris

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHES

Rep: Reputation: 47
Hang about... Should that read "We have a nt machine that assigns IP addresses via DHCP. I have a red hat box which is not getting an IP address from the DHCP server, i am trying to log in to the nt domain i have setup smb.conf with no luck any ideas ... ?"??

If so...

These are two seperate problems right? You don't use Samba to get your IP address, you need to use dhcpcd to get the IP address from your DHCP server, and clearly without the IP address you won't be able to login to the NT domain. You say that you've edited smb.conf - have you restarted Samba so that it recognised the changes, if not this is on of the first things you'll want to do? Also what are you trying to use to login to the NT domain? smbclient?? I can't say that I've played much with using NT shares from linux much, I tend to mainly use it the other way around - exporting stuff from Linux using Samba so that its available to Windows.

A few more details are necessary I feel...

cheers

Jamie...

Old 07-26-2001, 12:16 AM   #3
swift
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
dhcp

Hi ,

tHx for the response , Okay I am not to sure what to do with the dhcpd , i am using smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r PDC , to join the Domain , not sure if this is the right command to use . What do you suggest I do with dhcpd , I am not sure if dhcpd starts when i boot ... ?

thx

Old 07-26-2001, 05:46 AM   #4
jharris

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHES

Rep: Reputation: 47
I'd concentrate on the DHCP issues first, as if you're not getting a valid IP address then the other problems will be unsolvable... What do you get when you run ifconfig eth0 - do you have a valid IP address for your network? If so - you must be getting a DHCP lease unless you've give it an IP address manually during the install. If you don't have a valid IP address just try running dhcpcd from the command line and see what is does. This is the daemon that should get you and address from the DHCP server and manage the lease.

Post the results back on this thread. Also - what distro are you using? Someone will be able to give you some pointers about how to enable dhcpcd at startup if its not already running if we know which distro you're using.

HTH

Jamie...

Old 07-27-2001, 07:29 AM   #5
swift
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
dhcp

Hi jharris

I sorted everything out , it was the dhcpd , on the distro that i am running slackware 7 , you can select the option on the install but it does not install the dhcp client , got the client installed , rebooted logged in and joined the domain with
smbpasswd -j domain -r pdc , works fine but maybe jou can help me a bit further , i am on the domain now , and i can ping and see the pc on the network , but to go trough the proxy server I have to be authenticated by the pdc , any ideas or suggestions.

tHx

Old 09-24-2001, 05:40 PM   #6
abdulmecid
LQ Newbie

ya but how

Hello there,
I am having the same problem but im not sure how to install the client for dhcpcd? im using slackware 8 so if u just give me what u did it should work for me too thanks in advance.
-A