LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2001, 06:52 PM   #1
rdaves@earthlink.net

Distribution: I use Red Hat V 7.1

Rep: Reputation: 30

I have a kanguro usb hard drive attached to my computer.
I wish to mount this device using the 'mount' command.
When I use the command '/sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hda, I get:
Disk /dev/hda...
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 1912 15358108+ c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda2 1913 3737 14659312+ f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5 1913 3188 10249438+ b Win95 FAT32
/dev/hda6...

When I issue the commands 'mount -t vfat /dev/hda /mnt/Kanguru' , I am told 'wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock...
If I use 'ext'd' or 'dos' for file type, I get '>' on new line.
If I use file type 'ext', I am told "fs type ext not supported by kernel"
Is it wishful thinking that Linux (Red Hat V7.0) should be able to mount this exterior hard drive?
Or am I using the wrong stuff in the command?
Help, please.

Old 05-26-2001, 07:31 AM   #2
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
Ay caramba...
Linux sorts HD's & partitions like this:
/dev/hda = 1st HD, master
/dev/hda1 = 1st partition on 1st HD
/dev/hdb = 2nd HD, slave
/dev/hdb1 = 1st partition on 2nd HD
/dev/hdc = 2nd HD, master
/dev/hdc3 = 3rd partition on 2nd HD
/dev/scd0 = 1st SCSI HD
etc.

What u can mount u can see with "cat /proc/partitions"
So, what ure trying to do is mutilate ure 1st HD with fdisk, and then mount the HD itself (instead of the partitions).
If ure kernel supports USB HD's, and the device has an entry in /etc/fstab looks something like:
"/dev/hdd /mnt/Kanguru vfat (options)"
and is recognized, then u can mount it like "mount /mntKanguru".

Old 05-26-2001, 10:45 AM   #3
rdaves@earthlink.net

Original Poster
note for unspawn

Thanks for your comments.
I hope you can help me a little further.
The command "fdisk -l [options]" is a request for information, not repartitioning or to make any changes...I hope. When I issue this command, I get info on HDA, but nothing else. If I understand your input, my Kanguru should be shown as, possibly, HDB-C-D, or somthing like that. I tried asking for HDB, C, D and got nothing. Since this drive is an external drive, it probably is not recognized as HDX, I would guess. What would it be recognized as?
The command "cat/proc/partitions" doesn't work-bash tells me that the command doesn't exist. There is a /proc/partitions/, however access is denied when I issue the command "/proc/partitions".
Are you using Red Hat or some other distribution? Perhaps /cat/proc/partitions is unique to the distribution you are using?
Any further ideas?

Old 05-27-2001, 09:45 AM   #4
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
1. I tried to explain to u what u was doin, and that u shouldnt use fdisk. Guess I wasnt too clear on that one :-]
2. It couldnt be listed as "HDB-C-D" (and thats not even close to what I wrote) but something looking like /dev/hdc, or /dev/hdd...
3. Its
Code:
"cat /proc/partitions"
(w/o quotes & notice the space).
4. Im seriously beginning to wonder if u have kernel support for USB? Plz check?

/proc Linux specific, not R0ot Hat specific...

Old 05-27-2001, 10:55 AM   #5
rdaves@earthlink.net

Original Poster
note for unspawn

Thanks again for your comments. Sorry to be exhibiting my ignorance here. I have used Windows since the first version came out and this is probably not an asset when trying to work with Linux.
-
1. Regarding your comment about NOT USING FDISK...got it.
-
2. I was using /dev/hdb and /dev/hdc. I was using a clumsy and confusing shorthand there...sorry.
3. Okay on the code, I'll try it and post my progress later.
-
4. Don't understand your suggestion. You want me to check to see if I have USB support, but your suggetion is not clear. Your suggestion in comment # 3. was clear, as you provided the code. What is the code that I use to check and see if I have USB support? I installed Red Hat Linux V7.0 and kind of left it up to the program as to what was installed. It's my Windows experience, which doesn't help much here.
-
Thanks again.
-

Old 05-27-2001, 05:04 PM   #6
unSpawn

No need to apologize... If someone puts me behind the wheel on a VAX/AS400/Space shuttle I'm a newbie too :-]

Ill leave my unfinished stuff Ive written below. That was before I checked a bit around and found that the company that owns Kanguru doesnt ship drivers for Linux, nor hints at doin so in the near future and theres no Open Source project building the drivers I can see in miles away.
U could try building in USB support into ure kernel, but for now this seems a bit useless exercise.

---
Ok, theres a few ways to Rome to check USB.
The easiest way is to list (-l) from the current kernel the loadable modules type usb (-t usb):
Code:
"modprobe -l -t usb"
another way would be to look in the dir /lib/modules/(current kernel)/ .
Newer kernels have got newer modutils package, so loading of USB seems smoother, but I dont know about that. Another point is that a kernel might have the modules for USB built-in, then this wont work.
Else try
Code:
"cat /proc/devices | grep usb"
Ok, if this *does* turn up some goodies theres a way we can find out whats attached & recognized, but u need the right /proc support for it. Usbdevfs isnt a mandatory part of having USB support, but it makes finding devices easier."
First check if uve got support:
Code:
"cat /proc/filesystems | grep usb"
If it sez "usbdevfs" go on:
Code:
"cat /proc/bus/usb/devices | grep Product"
. If support is available it *should* turn up something like "Product=USB UHCI (or OHCI) Root Hub", plus a product line for each recognized product attached.
If it doesnt we can be sure u havent got USB support in ure kernel.

Old 05-27-2001, 05:57 PM   #7
rdaves@earthlink.net

Original Poster
note for unspawn

Thanks again for the input. It looks like I don't have any support for my exterior hard drive at this time. Strange, since this is a standar Western Digital device that works because the Kanguru guys have built a proprietary cable that makes the USB thing work in Windows.
-
I will try the code you suggested, anyway, since I am curious and want to learn this system. Will let you know how it works out.

Old 05-27-2001, 07:57 PM   #8
rdaves@earthlink.net

Original Poster
note for unspawn

1. "modprob -l usb" resulted in a listing of 20-30 items
First Item: "lib/modules/2.2.16.22/usb/acme.o
There were 29 more items.
-
2. "cat/proc/devices | grep usb" resulted in "180 usb"
-
3. "cat/proc/filesystems | grep usb" resulted in "nodev usbdevfs".
-
4. "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices | grep Product" resulted in:
S: Product=USB UHCI Root hub
S: Product=Generic USB hub
S: Product=USB UHCI Root hub
S: Product=
S: Product=ISB to IDE Adapter

[Edited by rdaves@earthlink.net on 05-27-2001 at 10:00 PM]

Old 06-27-2001, 08:29 PM   #9
YaHu
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian (right now)

Rep: Reputation: 15
Smile Kanguru

I was told that the Kanguru USB mode wasn't real USB, but some special thing that wasn't compatible with Linux. So I paid extra to get a dock. That isn't yet working either. I'm going to work at it for a bit longer, but my current best guess is that the Kanguru requires OS specific drivers that they just haven't written yet for Linux. I (currently) wish they'd just been up front about it

==============================

Later: It seems to be working fine now. The problem was that on each disk there is a switch that chooses whether or not the disk is a bus master. I had two disks trying to be bus master of the hdx bus. Switch it to slave, and it seems to work. (The ral test will come when I install an alternate version of Linux on it, but for now, it seems to be working.)

Last edited by YaHu; 06-27-2001 at 09:40 PM.

Old 06-28-2001, 03:27 PM   #10
rdaves@earthlink.net

Original Poster
So, are you saying that you got your Kanguru external hard drive to work with linux?

If the answer is yes, please provide details on what you did.

The cable that I am using for my Kanguru is the "black" cable, which is a proprietary product of Interactive Media Corp, the outfit that makes the Kanguru. The cable is expensive for a cable ($50). It has a USB connecter on one end and the connector on the other looks like a miniature of the plug that goes into the back of my printer. Two rows of 20 pins, imbedded in plastic.

Thanks.

Old 06-28-2001, 03:52 PM   #11
YaHu
LQ Newbie

Kanguru Mount -- successful install and boot,even

What I did was get the mounting box installation for Kanguru. This isn't the cable install and it isn't the USB kit (which I was told wouldn't work -- don't know about the cable).

Then I switched the disk to slave instead of master (this is a switch on the back of each disk). At that point I could see and mount the Kanguru as a vfat disk.

Next I looked at the /etc/fstab to see where it was mounted (got to be sure before the next step!)

The I booted from a Red Hat 7.1 install CD, choose custom install.
Then I picked the fdisk partition creator, deleted the existing Windows partition, and created a small (60 MB) partition on the Kanguru. Wrote the changes to the partition table.

Then I went into disk druid, named that partition /boot, and created a new root ('/') partition for the rest of the disk. While here I renamed all of the existing partitons on /hda. /boot on hda1 became /boot1, etc.
Then I let the install proceed, being careful that only the partitions on the Kanguru were formatted, etc.

Now when I boot, the Kanguru comes up. This is a proof of principle rather than being excessively useful. So now I need to fix it so that my old install comes up.

After some experimentation:
On the Kanguru, copy /etc/lilo.conf to /etc/lilo.conf.orig
Now from /dev/hda copy the old lilo.conf to /etc/lilo.conf
./lilo
shutdown -r 0

Now I come back up with my original system, and with the Kanguru mounted via the wonders of Anaconda (so I don't need to edit fstab by hand).

Last edited by YaHu; 06-28-2001 at 03:54 PM.

Old 06-28-2001, 06:05 PM   #12
rdaves@earthlink.net

Original Poster
I'm still not with you.
I cannot find a Mounting Box Installation at the Interactive Media Corporation's website -- http://www.interactivemediacorp.com/35portable.html
Are we talking about the same piece of equipment?

Old 06-29-2001, 09:30 AM   #13
YaHu
LQ Newbie

Wink Name problem

Sorry, they call it a dock. Try:
http://www.interactivemediacorp.com/dock.html

I was also told that the PCMCIA card / cable would work, but I haven't tried that.

I still think of it as a mounting box, but dock is also a reasonable name, since the disk plugs into the box.

Old 06-29-2001, 10:28 AM   #14
rdaves@earthlink.net

Original Poster
Correct me if I am wrong

I believe you have a Kanguru Disk, which can be used as an external HD together with an adapter. Or you can use an internal docking station and plug it directly into your computer. The box this drive comes in is ivory in color.

I have Kanguru Portable Hard Drive . The box it comes in is black. It can be plugged into the back of the computer using four different, but proprietary, cables (Firewire, CardBus/PCMCIA, USB, and Parallel). As best I cen determine from Intermedia Media Corporation's website, this device does not have a docking station option.

Knowing what I know now, I should have purchased the Kanguru Disk. However, my computers 4 bays are all used up, so I would have to get rid of a device like my Sound Blaster Live! drive in order to have a place for the docking station.

Bottom line is: I am stuck. There doesn't yet appear to be Linux support for my Kanguru Portable Hard Drive.

Last edited by rdaves@earthlink.net; 06-29-2001 at 10:30 AM.

Old 06-30-2001, 02:59 PM   #15
YaHu
LQ Newbie

U R Right

What I got was the Kanguru hard disk.

When you mention a cable connection, do you mean a PCMCIA cable connection, or one of the other ones ... the picture on the site seems to show a PCMCIA cable and three others. One of these others looks like a DIN-9 cable, one must be a USB, and I haven't a clue as to what the other one is...firewire, perhaps?

FWIW I believe that the PCMCIA (cable) connector should work with it, and I plan to use it in the future ... but I haven't tried it, I have the hard disk, and I don't know.

One would think that the USB connection would work, but I was told that they had some kind of specialized driver for it rather and a standard one, and that they hadn't written a version for Linux yet.

I think that the one that looks to me like a DIN-9 is probably the one that they call a prarllel cable, which probably means that it's designed to swallow your parallel port. The Zip disk that does that kind of thing needed a specialized driver written for it. I believe that that driver is an automatically loaded one, if the system decides that you need it. But I don't know that the Kanguru would, or could, use the exact same protocols. So I woiuldn't expect that one to work.

FireWire is another protocol that should be machine independant, but . .... I think that the Linux support for FireWire isn't yet in the kernel, but it that's what you have, you could check around for that, but of course you computer would need to support it (though they do only mention supporting the Mac with FireWire, so it might be another of their special purpose adaptations).

I had originally intended to get the portable dirve, but after I talked to the salesman at the company I decided not to, but I don't remember why. I'm now glad that I didn't get it, though I, also, was out of bays. Currently I'm trying to decide which CD to keep, the writer which I never got around to using, or the fast one. Up to now, it's the fast one that's installed... but I haven't been able to decide.