LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2001, 08:22 PM   #1
RayBonz
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

Hello Group,
I have a slight problem in Mandrake 7.2 in that my network card won't work on it's own when Linux boots up... Here's what I have to do:
stop the network
then run insmod pcnet32.o (at dir. where net modules are located)
then do network start and all is fine.....
Do I need to write a script at startup or do I have something configured wrong... I use dhcp as this connects to my cable modem.. Everything runs fine after
If I need to write a script I will need help on that too..
Thanx! I appreciate it!!! Great site here..

Ray

Old 04-21-2001, 08:53 PM   #2
Breezwell

Distribution: Gentoo 1.4

Rep: Reputation: 30
I have never connected my Linux box to a cable modem, but do you really need to use DHCP to do so? Seems it would just be easier to edit the /etc/hosts file manually. You can then edit the /etc/allow and /etc/deny as you see fit.
Just use ifconfig to set your network card up as follows:

command prompt> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.5

You can use whatever internal IP address you like of course....
You may need to go into HardDrake to get some details on your kernel and type of card, but this may work for you.

I tend to try and stay as 'manual' as possible to keep things as controlable as possible (thats just me though).

Hope this helps in some small manner..........

Old 04-21-2001, 09:58 PM   #3
RayBonz
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Exclamation

I am referring to the card which connects to my cablemodem and it has to be setup for dhcp, can't be static here... It does work fine once I get it going using root at linux console... Love Mandrake..... Been trying for years to get Linux working with x-windows and this is my 1st successful attempt... I do know MS windows networking well as I've had a Ms windows network in my home for past 7 years and it is so easy to network in there... Other than that linux is looking great and KDE rocks!!

Old 04-22-2001, 04:03 PM   #4
Breezwell

Distribution: Gentoo 1.4

Rep: Reputation: 30
Ooops, sorry about that.
Hope you get it working soon......

Old 04-22-2001, 04:58 PM   #5
RayBonz
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Unhappy

I had it all working including ics and I keep losing it This doesn't make alot of sense to me..... Been networking in windows for 7 years and never experienced this...... Any ideas? I really love Mandrake 7.2 and want this to work. Bill Gates has MUCH to worry about hehe
Thanx,
Ray