LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2001, 06:52 AM   #1
iihay

Distribution: Mandrake 10.0

Rep: Reputation: 15
Angry Flash Plugin for konqueror???

Hi,

I have been attempting to get flash working in Konqueror but I cannot find any settings to accept the netscape plugin. I am running mandrake 8.0.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Iain

Old 07-13-2001, 01:11 PM   #2
CragStar

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 47
Have you tried Settings-Configure Konquerer-Netscape Plugins?

I can't remember how I did it exactly, but I may have followed the instructions from the downloaded flash files.

Old 07-14-2001, 05:23 AM   #3
iihay

Original Poster
Tried that and..

Yep, I have tried that but the only plugin setting I can find is "Enable plugins globally" which is switched on. The Flash files indicate that two of the files in the archive should be placed in the Netscape plugins directory. I have done this and also liberally sprinkled them all over the hard disc hopeing to find somewhere where it would work!

I had hoped that konqueror would have a setting to point at a directory containing the plugin. Have you upgraded KDE at all? I am using the Mandrake 8.0 stock version i.e K.D.E. 2.1.1.

Thanks for the help

Iain

Old 07-14-2001, 06:28 AM   #4
CragStar

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 47
I am trying to remember what I did to get them working. I can't for the life of me remember how, but I had the same prob, I know that!

As soon as I remember I will let you know. It was something quite obscure.

Old 07-14-2001, 10:51 AM   #5
AzrielMacKay

Distribution: Debian and Kubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 30
Hi, I had the same problem, and then I noticed that Konqueror wasnt looking in the right place for the plugins in the netscape plungins dir. You should see a spot for adding another plugin directory in there. However, I am running the newest ver. of konqueror. If you still cant get it you might just want to try upgrading.

Old 07-14-2001, 11:51 AM   #6
iihay

Original Poster
Still looking

Still can't find a spot for the plugin. I have checked the help which says

"Currently, Konqueror supports NetscapeŽ 4.x plugins.

If you select Preferences->Web Browsing->Netscape Plugins from the K menu you will get a dialog box with two tabbed pages; Scan and Plugins.7.10.1.

Scan

This page lets you make KDE scan for new NetscapeŽ plugins, either manually by pressing the Scan for new plugins button or automatically each time KDE starts up.

The scan is done by looking through the directories listed in the Scan Directories list for .so files containing plugin code. It examines every such file to find out which MIME types the plugin supports. It then creates MIME type definitions for KDE in the user's ~/.kde/share/mimelnk directory to make other applications aware of the new mime types."

However, I cannot find a window marked netscape plugins at all. I just get the plugins "enable plugins globally" window. Hopefully this may jog someones memory as I am sure that there has to be something obvious I am missing!

Iain

Old 09-26-2001, 09:45 AM   #7
juergen

Rep: Reputation: 16
Netscape Plugins

FWIW, the 'Netscape Plugins' tab is all the way at the bottom of the sidebar (at least in Konqoeror 2.2.1), not in the 'Konqueror Browser' tab.
I copied the Flash player files to /usr/lib/netscape/plugins/ and clicked 'Scan for new plugins'. It found the Flash player OK, but it still doesn't work. libflashplayer.so shows up in the plugins list, but every site using Flash pops up one or more of those windows asking me to download the player. Very annoying. Has anyone had this problem yet?

Old 09-27-2001, 09:09 AM   #8
Aussie

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 58
Open up a terminal and do "nspluginscan" If you get "command not found" as a result then you need to install it. I know that mandrake has a seperate rpm for it (called kdebase-nsplugin -or something like that) other rpm distro's might as well. If you compiled from source you might have something else wrong but doing the scan from a terminal will give an error for most problems which gives you somewhere to start looking.