LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2001, 03:27 PM   #1
danny_aka_rudy
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Redhat 7.0 and 7.1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question OK,, here goes...

Ok all, here we go. I am a Technology Coordinator for a school district. I work for a small school district, so basically, there is no money for anything . So I'm really glad linux is out there. I really like the posibilities of linux. Here is where my problem lies. I really don't have much or basically any programming experience. Simply put, when it comes to Linux, and all the languages that it uses, I'm a moron. The upswing to this, is that, well at least in man peoples opinions, I'm a very quick study, I pick things up fast.

I've installed Linux, varying versions, several times on many different machines, for many odd reasons. The thing is, I've always used packaged installs. Sure I've gone out to rpmfind to get packages, even downloaded source code for programs and compiled it (even got some of those to work ). but for the most part I've relied on the manuals and instructions that came with the code, I've "piggy-backed" off of other scripts, etc to create the stuff I've got. I don't know all of these grep this and ps -aux that, chmod those, and all those goodies. The only time I use them is when I've read a message with some explicitly vauge instructions.

Sorry this is so long-winded. What I'm wondering, is with all of you out there in your infinate wisdom, if you could perhaps point me in the right direction to help me learn to understand these commands, tell me how I can learn how to recompile a kernal and all that, how to learn the commands, and what they do, their syntax etc. I've learned DOS, Windows 3.1,95,98,NT,ME,2K Novell (bindery and tree models), and lots of other stuff by the school of hard knocks and lots of reading, and just plain paying attention. I just figured now that the net is as evolved as it is, that maybe I could ask the ones that have already been there for some pointers.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-23-2001, 03:44 PM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Tell you the truth, I am no programmer (well except for web design) and you don't need to be one to run Linux. I am sure it helps...
but I found the first resource is the MAN pages already included on your Linux machines for help with commands.
You can also check out www.linuxdoc.org , probably with the most technical documentation out there than anyone else on the web. They have good howto's on kernel recompiling.
Also, I have seen books like at B&N and Borders even on all the commands Linux uses.. usually I think running between 15 to 30 bucks... good reference guides if your not on the net or no access to the web.
But everyone starts out somewhere. I was in your shoes at one time... thinking, "what command does this and had to find it, now how do i use it."

And of course, you can always come here. I see most people's questions answered within a matter of minutes. Compare that to Microsoft support on the phone, It takes several minutes just to get thru paying with your credit card to be approved before they say Hi.

Old 07-23-2001, 03:46 PM   #3
CragStar

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 47
For one of the best resources:

www.linuxdoc.org

Loads of How-tos, also some books.

Old 07-23-2001, 07:13 PM   #4
DMR

Distribution: RH 9.0, RH 7.3, Mandrake 8.0

Rep: Reputation: 30
A couple of printed references that I've found to be very helpful:

Running Linux by Matt Welsh, O'Reilly Press

Unix Power Tools, also from O'Reilly

Old 07-24-2001, 12:50 AM   #5
isajera

Rep: Reputation: 45
we didn't have linux when i was in school :(

usually, instructions for re-compiling the kernel are included in the distro's manual. it's not at all as scary as it sounds at first; you do need to know what hardware you have tho.

and worst comes to worst, you can always check back here

Old 07-24-2001, 10:46 PM   #6
DavidPhillips
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora / RedHat / SuSE

Rep: Reputation: 58
Save your eyes some misery and get a good linux book. Then expand your knowledge online from there.

Old 07-25-2001, 01:11 PM   #7
jonik
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Red Hat

Rep: Reputation: 0
Post For kernel compilation..

..you might want to check this site:

http://www.thedukeofurl.org/reviews/...el2224/5.shtml

Brief, understandable instructions that should get you started. (At least worked for me..)

Old 07-27-2001, 01:59 PM   #8
zhenwu

Distribution: RH 9.0

Rep: Reputation: 15
Another great resource

Now that you've gotten a bunch of great answers, I'll add mine:

http://www.free-ed.net/fr03/lfc/030109/123/

Is a great course, breaking down nearly all aspects of Unix/Linux administration etc.

You will need to sign up, but it's free and painless (enter your email address, and they'll send you a password).

I always go back to this course, it's got stuff for beginners, but useful as a resource for even intermediate users.

Old 07-27-2001, 10:55 PM   #9
DavidPhillips
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora / RedHat / SuSE

Rep: Reputation: 58
Cool, The site looks great. I think I will sign up.

Thanks

Old 07-28-2001, 02:50 AM   #10
ugge

Distribution: OpenSUSE 10.3

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally posted by CragStar
For one of the best resources:

www.linuxdoc.org

Loads of How-tos, also some books.
The guides found at this place is in my oppinion very good reading.