LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2001, 09:10 AM   #1
Dynamo

Distribution: SuSE;Mandrake

Rep: Reputation: 15
Angry

I have Red Hat Linux 7 but the Xconfigurator won't detect my video card which is NVIDIA GeForce 2MX.the problem comes when i should select the type of the chip.it's not there(i don't know what to choose).should i install its drivers and how?
please,tell me if there is something important i'm missing.
by the way...i'm new to Linux.

thanks to all of you

Old 04-05-2001, 10:03 AM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Most likely it isn't supported by your version of Xfree86, you need to most likely go to http://www.xfree86.org and see there if they have any newer versions that support your card or find on their lists what drivers that might support your video now.

Good Luck

Old 04-05-2001, 01:24 PM   #3
Dynamo

Original Poster
OK,now i know that i need xfree86 4.0.3(it supports my vcard).but how can i get it and use it since i can work only
from the command line of Linux?

Old 04-05-2001, 01:47 PM   #4
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
You should be able to ftp into their site.
ftp.xfree86.org and the latest version should be in the /pub directory. This is all considering if you have your internet connection working or not.

Old 04-07-2001, 09:44 AM   #5
Dynamo

Original Poster
OK,what shell i do after downloading xfree86 4.0.3?how could i replace it with the old one.i downloaded it under win ME.
sorry if that sounds very stupid but i have no idea how to cope with it.
i'd really appreciate if you explain me in detail how to do this.

thanks a lot

Old 04-12-2001, 02:49 AM   #6
ry

Distribution: Red Hat, Fedora Core

Wink GeForce 2MX

Hello,

You may visit this site,
"http://people.redhat.com/jabbott/vidcards.html"

It's for RH 6.2, but give it a try, it might work also for 7

Old 04-14-2001, 07:41 AM   #7
conor
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Smile

Hi,

I just installed Linux for the first time last night. I am using RedHat 7 with a geforce2 MX video card and initally had the same problems as yourself.

A quick boot back into windoze and a search of the web found the answer to my problems in the form of this article:

http://www.evil3d.net/articles/linux.../printer.shtml

I ran Xconfigurator first (just type "Xconfigurator" at the prompt) and went through the steps. I can't remember exactly what I did but I know that I selected "Don't probe" and selected all the defaults and that I selected my monitor and various video resolutions.

Once Xconfigurator was finished (it just said "Starting X Server" or something, brought up a blue screen and then left me at the command prompt - not too reassuring!) I followed the rest of the article word for word.

I ran the ls /usr/src command and it showed that I had linux, linux-2.2.16 and redhat so I skipped the next two bullet-pointed steps and continued on at "NVIDIA Kernel Drivers".

If any of that doesn't make any sense then don't worry, just print out the article I pointed you towards and follow it - it's easy!

Once everything's installed okay just use the command "startx" to start your x server!

A few other tips:

I didn't need to use the "insmod sgpgart agp_try_unsupported=1" stuff but used it anyway just to be safe.

Once you've got everything working properly go to applications>gedit and open your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, find the line (under the "Screen 0" section) that sets the default colour depth/resolution or something and change it from 8 to 16. There's no point having a Geforce2 MX only to run it in 256 colours!

You'll have to have downloaded the NVidia tar files from

http://www.nvidia.com/Products/Drivers.nsf/Linux.html

Just in case you didn't know about this, Linux doesn't automatically read MSDOS formatted floppies, you have to "mount" the floppy first:

mount -t msdos /dev/floppy /mnt/floppy

You can then access the floppy through /mnt/floppy and can copy the nvidia files to your root directory (so that you can follow the tutorial - it's all done from the root directory) by using a command such as

cp /mnt/floppy/NVIDIA... /

where "..." is the rest of the filename.

Alternatively an easier way to access MSDOS disks is through the use of the mdir and mcopy commands:

To see what's on the a: drive (floppy):

mdir a:

To copy a file from the a: drive (floppy to root in this case):

mcopy a:foo.txt /

I both these cases the "m" stands for "msdos"

I hope that's all of help to you!

If you need any more help then my e-mail address is conor@ceonsystems.com

All the best...

Conor