LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2001, 04:50 AM   #1
katana

Rep: Reputation: 15
Angry Squid!!

Hi!
I've installed Squid 2 on Linux RedHat 6.0,i've configured it and everyhting...but when i tried to test squid with this commandfrom Squid userguide)

client -h cache.kym.edu.example -p 3128 http://www.kym.edu.example/

i got this message:

client: ERROR: Cannot connect to cache.kym.edu.example: No such file or directory

what does this mean?? I followed the original example from userguide:

client -h cache1.domain.example -p 3128 http://www.ora.com/

why cant it read my cache? What do i have to replace 'cache1.domain.example' ?? HELP!!

Old 07-12-2001, 05:43 AM   #2
jharris

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHES

Rep: Reputation: 47
Question

I'd say that the above command line is correct (although I havn't played with Squid for a while). Do you have any local firewalls that might be stopping you access port 3128? Is there anything in your logs about Squid not starting? You havn't configured squid to run on port 8080 or something right? When you do a ps -ef Squid is listed?

Just a few things to check to start with.

HTH

Jamie...

Old 07-12-2001, 08:06 PM   #3
katana

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
thanks jamie...
well, i've checked my log files...my cache.log file is wayy too big...but it didnt say anything about not being able to start squid..and when i did ps -ef, i did saw squid, started by user squid...so it must have worked dont you think?? and as for firewalls, i forgot to mention , the server do has an ip that has been firewalled from the net...i mean, i couldnt connect to the net using this ip (it's an experimental server, so my lecturer apparently doesnt see the need for it to be connected to the net,duh),but it's connected to our network, of course...do you think this might be why i couldnt connect to port 3128?

oh, and another thing, why did when i typed 'RunCache' in the command line, i got this:

Running: squid -sY >> /var/squid.out 2>&1

the same message went on about four times, and then :

RunCache: EXITING DUE TO REPEATED, FREQUENT FAILURES

?? I did tried setting up the proxy option in netscape using my proxy server...and i think the proxy did work..
Any hint?? I kinda confused here...THANKS!