LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2001, 11:45 AM   #1
noel

Rep: Reputation: 15
Angry

Okay....So I go out happy-go-lucky and buy an internal 3com modem.Internal because it's the only modem I saw that mentioned on the box that it'd work with Linux.Great. I get home,plug it in-And WINDOWS WILL NOT DETECT IT WORTH A DAMNED.It remains in conflict with the DMA controller and for some whacky reason everytime it asks me for a driver,when I click 'next', it looks for a standard VGA adapter[which also keeps installing itself against my wishes
with that nice big pretty exclamation mark!]!
Oh- but the Viking modem works just fine.Not a single complaint from the infamous winmodem !
IT IS MORE THAN OBVIOUS[And please excuse my caps]THAT WINDOWS IS GARBAGE AND IT IS DESIGNED TO MONOPOLIZE THE PC INDUSTRY BY DELIBERATELY RESTRICTING THE CONSUMER'S FREEDOM TO CHOOSE ALTERNATIVE HARDWARE,SOFTWARE,AND OPERATING SYSTEMS!This is what the Anti-Trust suit is really all about folx, and everyone needs [dare I suggest so?]to start flooding Microsoft with complaints about their evil,selfish and horrible practices!
In the interim-If there's anyone who who have any clue as to how in the world to get this modem working, I would certainly appreciate your suggestions and advice.Until then,I'm going to write a very angry e-mail to micro$oft and then play a game of Half-Life and PRETEND that everything I kill is BIll Gates.
Peace.

Old 04-18-2001, 12:09 PM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
One question? Did it work in Linux though?

Old 04-18-2001, 12:27 PM   #3
webtoe

Distribution: Slackware 10, Fedora Core 3, Mac OS X

Rep: Reputation: 30
my friend, welcome to the world of linux, where you learn that microsoft's only aim in life is to piss everyone else off who feels like a wee bit of a change. this is what builds the linux 'zealots' that roam the web.

neway bout your prob. i assume that it is win related. go to the control panel and then into the 'system' section. there click on the exclamatoin mark and then properties and then 'update drivers'. the get to the bit where you tell windows that you 'have your own disk'. here insert the ol' disk and search for your driver (the manual should help).

if this doesn;t work (that is the obvious easy answer) then i have no idea. just rejoice in the fact that the bugger should work in linux! i noticed that my modem has a little tux sticker at the website but no where is there ne drivers or nething to that effect. the only way i can get my modem to work is to mess with the init string (the secret to which is found in the win driver [luckily i found a nice site that has information on extracting that information!!])

Alex

Old 04-18-2001, 12:58 PM   #4
noel

Original Poster
Exclamation Now that's the thing...

I don't know if Linux will use it-yet,because at first,it wouldn't,and so I went back to Win kept trying and eventually wound up reinstalling(and hence overwriting LILO):
Trust me when I tell you I've tried EVERYTHING I know to get this thing to work with Winme;I've tried reserving resouces,changing the DMA channnels,removing the DMA access controller,removing all but the video card,changing video cards-EVERYTHING.I still get a crazy conflict I can't understand. I booted in safe mode and the modem uses com5(?)
but during a normal start up it peters out. I knew I should've gone with the external (this thing set me back 100
bux,and the external costs just as much but it didn't mention anything about Linux and quite frankly I was scared)
It even installs the modem as a damned serial mouse-WHICH I DON'T EVEN HAVE!
I'm gonna try and run it solo with Linux[if I can blow away windows and install it] and see what happens.Sometimes when you unplug a modem and then replug it it works and that's a headache but I'll try that-again.
BTW that angry letter is located in the non-linux related thread.Thanx guys.I'll keep you up to date.Gotta get some sleep for now-work tonight.Peace.

Old 04-18-2001, 01:38 PM   #5
webtoe

Distribution: Slackware 10, Fedora Core 3, Mac OS X

Rep: Reputation: 30
windows is such a bitch isn;t it. atleast linux gives you some vaguely informative error message (most of the time :-) )

i mean com 5!!!!! that is only physically possible if you have a multiport card (which im assuming you don;t have).

i think that you won;t win with this card in win (btw, ave you tried a generic driver. sometimes that works). jus join your brethern in the linux community, where information is shared, and standards are shared with all os's (if they care to listen).

lol to you bout that letter

Alex

Old 04-18-2001, 02:42 PM   #6
noel

Original Poster
Talking There is a God...

Oh I joined the Linux community three years ago-I just like dual booting things just to get on Windows'nerves.I am at this moment,logged in with the 3com card on Winme.What did I do?How did this happen?I have no idea.But let's take a look-
After I finished my last post I went back to hacking the thing around.I should mention that during my last post,both the 3com and winmodem were installed,only the winmodem was being used.I pulled out the winmodem and plugged the line in 3com;The yellow exclamation vanished-BUT the video card and adapter was GONE!Go figure. This went back and forth and back and forth-Whenever I re-installed the video card the modem failed;Whenever I uninstalled the video it dialed.If I held the display and kept the modem the system froze-Again because Windows is confusing the modem for the display adapter.In frustration I turned off the system and when I rebooted,of course,I booted into the BIOS.I then decided to try an earlier trick;turn off the Plug'n'Pray,
toggle PCI config for IRQ 9.That reset everything to IRQ 5,and on reboot the display adapter came back but I ignored its installation.I clicked on the modem,and it worked. Now as Gil Scott Heron would say- 'dotdotditditdotdotdash----
Damned if I know." I don't know why it happened this way now and not then or what happened to make anything happen any-way.I do know I'll never forget it though.
And now-I've got to reinstall Linux and see if that picks up the modem.If anyone's got any warnings givem to me now.
Peace.

Old 04-18-2001, 04:09 PM   #7
noel

Original Poster
Thumbs up modem initializing......

Now,perhaps I'm just being lazy,not taking time to figure things out myself here,but I'm reallt tired and anxious and would just like to see Netscape connect to my ISP and get back here with it.I have no idea how to do this,and while I'm waiting for advice-which I'm undoubtedly grateful for every bit I get-I'll be reading and eating dinner...

Old 04-21-2001, 11:59 AM   #8
Jenifer
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Bad Modem?

I'm a retail technician,and you would be suprised at how many times I find modems that are dead right out of the box.
I'm not saying thats your problem,but thats what it sounds like to me.