LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2001, 01:39 PM   #1
Coproscefalo

Distribution: SuSE 9.3

Rep: Reputation: 15
Unhappy Best Data Modem

Hi !!!

I'm using a best data modem with conexant chipset (ISA Version), and i want to know how to set up the modem to work under linux. I've tried out some configs but with no results (even I can't make it work on windows). It would be of great help. Thanx beforehand.

Old 07-10-2001, 03:20 PM   #2
reboot
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 8

Rep: Reputation: 0
If it's a jumperless ISA, then it's a winmodem, and will never work.
If it's got jumpers, set them to COM 2, IRQ 3.
Go into the BIOS setup, and disable com 2.
Set "PnP OS Installed" to NO.
Set "Reset configuration data" to YES.
Restart, and reinstall.

Old 07-10-2001, 04:28 PM   #3
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
i have mine set on com 3 irq 9 and its working. it should have jumpers unless you have another model.
i think windows was tougher than linux to get mine working. i had to set it on com 3 and let windows query for a modem to install it as a generic default modem.

Old 07-22-2001, 04:22 PM   #4
Catt
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Redhat

I am also trying to configure a Best Data modem (ISA) using COM 2, IRQ 3. I followed Reboot's directions, but linux still is not detecting the modem. I did get the modem to work in W2K, but I would really like to get it to work in linux.

Also, when I type: # setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 3 I get "you have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root." When I have linuxconf detect the modem it says no modem detected.

In KPPP I get "modem ready" then "sorry modem doesn't respond."

Where do I go from here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-25-2001, 08:51 PM   #5
matt

Distribution: RH7.1 ; OSX

Hey there,

I have a Best Data modem as well, model #56SF. The only reason I bought it was because it said 'Linux compatible' on the box. I had to wreste with it still, and actually solved the problem with suggestions from the posts above. I had to go into my system bios (hit F1 or F2, or some other special key when the computer is booting up - some systems say something like 'press F1 to edit setup' when the computer is booting). I had to turn my serial ports off, and then save the new configuration before letting the box go back to booting. I then used the command line mentioned above to change my IRQ to 3, which didn't work, but then 9 did. I have no ideal what this means, but it worked.

If your modem didn't say Linux compatible on the box, I wish you all the luck in the world! I couldn't get my win-modem to work at all.

Good luck!

Old 07-26-2001, 08:08 AM   #6
trickykid
LQ Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
I am also trying to configure a Best Data modem (ISA) using COM 2, IRQ 3. I followed Reboot's directions, but linux still is not detecting the modem. I did get the modem to work in W2K, but I would really like to get it to work in linux.

Also, when I type: # setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 3 I get "you have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root." When I have linuxconf detect the modem it says no modem detected.

In KPPP I get "modem ready" then "sorry modem doesn't respond."

Where do I go from here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Try it on Com 3 and IRQ 9, I tried originally on Com 2 and IRQ 3 and it did not work for me until I manually cahnged the jumpers.

Old 07-26-2001, 04:34 PM   #7
matt

Did you go into the system bios? Some folks have to disable the COM2 serial port. On my IBM Aptiva, I had no choice but to disable them both. THEN I set my IRQ to 9 with the previously mention command line. Then it sang like a bird.

Old 07-27-2001, 08:10 AM   #8
trickykid
LQ Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by matt
Did you go into the system bios? Some folks have to disable the COM2 serial port. On my IBM Aptiva, I had no choice but to disable them both. THEN I set my IRQ to 9 with the previously mention command line. Then it sang like a bird.
Nope... Luckily I didn't have to do anything in my BIOS, though if it didn't work the first time trying.. I am sure I would had to have done something there... unless mine was already set by default in the BIOS with com2 disabled.

Old 07-27-2001, 04:04 PM   #9
Catt
LQ Newbie

I will finally have some time this weekend to try and configure my modem. I went ahead and uninstalled COM ports 1 and 2 and disabled those ports in the BIOS. I will then add COM 3 and assign IRQ 9 to that port. We'll see how it goes.

Matt, I have the same model number as you, and I bought the modem for the same reason. Thanks to both you and Tricky Kid for your suggestions. I'll let you know how I make out.

Old 07-29-2001, 08:52 PM   #10
Catt
LQ Newbie

Thumbs up

I am online with linux! After messing around with IRQ settings, IO addresses, and serial ports for quite some time, both linux and windows could agree on COM 3 IRQ 4. Setserial was very helpful. I did have to disable COM ports 1 and 2, and PnP in the BIOS. Thanks again for the suggestions and quick responses.

Old 07-30-2001, 09:22 AM   #11
matt

As Mr. Burns would say, "Egggs-cellent..."

Old 08-11-2001, 02:38 PM   #12
Coproscefalo

Original Poster
Thumbs up

wo-hoo !!!

I was taking vacations, but i'm back, and my modem is working. Thanx to all of you guys who helped me.

I need to disable COM 2 in bios and set modem to use IRQ 9 in bios also, the jumpers (on modem) are set to COM 2, and IRQ 3 and now its working.

Now one more question, what do i need to do to configure my modem in Linux?

I have a set of drivers, but are for PCI not for ISA. I would appreciate any help.

Old 08-11-2001, 03:45 PM   #13
Coproscefalo

Original Poster
Talking

wo-hoo !!! again

Now my modem is working with both Linux and windows. In Linux worked for me

#setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 3

Thanx again everybody.