LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2001, 11:14 AM   #1
Jason97Cobra
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

What I want to know is, what should I know?

What should I be able to do?

My boss at work needs me to learn Linux. I want to learn it, but I don't know what my goals should be. What do I need to know?

Is there anywhere on the 'net I can goto find steps on what to learn? I have a "Linux for Windows Addicts" book that I've been reading through. It basically tells you about compiling a kernal, networking, permissions... that sorta stuff.

What do YOU think is important for anyone who claims to be a Linux-knowledgable to know?

Old 05-24-2001, 11:49 AM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Commands is good and their flags used with them. Basic understandings are good to start out with. Expose your self a little at a time with a little of everything.
Learn a little admin stuff, networking is big of course, security and everything else will follow along.
One book that is recommended is the O'Reily's Running Linux 3rd Edition.

Old 05-24-2001, 11:53 AM   #3
Jason97Cobra
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks... keep the suggestions coming!

I need to write up a list of stuff for me to learn / buy for the end of the day.

Old 05-24-2001, 11:57 AM   #4
rshaw

Distribution: Mepis , Debian

Rep: Reputation: 45
http://www.oreilly.com has a good selection of books

it depends on what your trying to do. are you going to be the admin. for the local LAN or are you putting linux on the desktops, etc

you should probably start with a book on the bash shell to get comfortable at the comand prompt. then a book on the linux kernel to learn how to modify each install for the hardware it's running on

Old 05-24-2001, 12:16 PM   #5
Jason97Cobra
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hey there...

Well, I'm going to be the troubleshooting/technical support for our company's server software products.

Basically I need to know how to use Samba, Apache, etc etc. Everything to do with troubleshooting those.

I'll need to be able to troubleshoot Lan issues, as well as Linux Desktop configuration.

Linux Admin would be nice, but all I need to know right now as far as I know is the chmod.

Thanks for your help guys.

Old 05-24-2001, 12:50 PM   #6
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
TIP

If you know the commands your going to need to know, you can always use the man pages to read up on them within linux. Just type man then the command name following it for the pages on the command like # man chmod
As for Samba and Apache, their sites have good documentation
http://www.samba.org and http://www.apache.org .
Do you have machines that it is installed on or access to some that you can install on. That is the perfect way to get use to and mess around with when learning.

Old 05-24-2001, 10:34 PM   #7
Q25

Distribution: RedHat 9.1

Rep: Reputation: 16
If he wants you to do those things he should pay for some courses
And troubleshooting is the tough part if you didn't know
If things would just work, then I know I'd be a happier man.. LOL

Old 05-25-2001, 02:04 AM   #8
DrDebian
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason97Cobra

My boss at work needs me to learn Linux. I want to learn it, but I don't know what my goals should be. What do I need to know?

Is there anywhere on the 'net I can goto find steps on what to learn? I have a "Linux for Windows Addicts" book that I've been reading through. It basically tells you about compiling a kernal, networking, permissions... that sorta stuff.

What do YOU think is important for anyone who claims to be a Linux-knowledgable to know?
You could take the free Linux-Admin certification at http://www.brainbench.com
They let you take a test and tell you where they think you should learn a bit more, giving you pointers to documentation for you to read through.

Old 05-25-2001, 07:57 AM   #9
Bogdan

Distribution: Debian

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason97Cobra

If your company enviroment is not only Linux, so you have to learn more about their integration. If you also works in M$ enviroment, so you have to learn Mustdie connections. It is SAMBA & NFS for network interchange.

Old 05-25-2001, 09:21 AM   #10
notlinus

Distribution: RedHat 6.1

A lot of what you need to know you won't realize until you start doing. So, budget lots of time.
I like Teach Yourself Linux from IDG. Lots of basic stuff, with the common tasks covered - installing printers both local and network, installing and configuring the network stuff, getting your system up and running. Mostly works with the GNOME desktop and Redhat, but there is stuff there that is generally applicable as well.
It's a little weak on Samba. I don't think you'll find a single source that will cover everything. This forum is a good resource as well.
Although there's TONS of stuff online, I'd suggest a trip down to the local megabookstore and browse through some books, thinking about what you are planning to accomplish. The reason there are so many is that no one approach works for everyone.
/js

Old 05-25-2001, 05:08 PM   #11
Jason97Cobra
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions!

The boss looked at my report and did this sorta... "Ok, yeaaah.... uhm... that would be grrrrreat" facial expression and told me to do whatever I wanted on the list.

Seen Office Space?

Anyways, I think I'll try the suggestions found at Brainbench.com and go from there. I really like using Linux as I find myself more and more switching back between various OS'es and I find Linux allows maybe 1 crash per week in Xwindows, compared to the crash PER HOUR almost of Win2k.

Any other free online courses? ( Internet startup company here, hahaahahah... ), or online references that can help me plan a set route to learn it? I'm mainly into online material, but if I NEED to buy a book, I will...

Old 05-26-2001, 09:06 PM   #12
mongrel
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSE 7.1

go to http://www.informit.com/linux they have a free library of online versions of popular linux reference books