LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2001, 03:17 PM   #1
johncla

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question sound

I recently upgraded my kernel to 2.4.3, and in the process configured it to support sound. I have an ESS Allegro 1. In xconfig under "sound" an opption to configure the kernel with the ESS Meastro3/Allegro driver is given but it is not accesable(it is faded out), how do I access this option.
Also after running the new kernel I ran dmseg and the kernel cannot find any sound device.

I know my sound card will work under linux because S.U.S.E found it without a hitch. Unfortionatly it was just a demo OS that ran from the CD. I got it from LINUX format magazine.
Right now I am running Mandrake until I can offord to go with something else.

any help is appreciated.

Last edited by johncla; 07-17-2001 at 03:38 PM.

Old 07-17-2001, 04:14 PM   #2
Infamous Tim

Distribution: Slackware 8.0 with KDE 3.0

I had some problems with my sound card as well. The reason it is grayed out is because it's set up to use modules. What you have to do is determine what driver you need and load the proper module in. There's instructions in the sound how-to here.

Quote:
You can check which drivers are available as modules by looking in the /lib/modules directories. For the 2.4.4 kernel, the sound drivers would normally appear in /lib/modules/2.4.4/kernel/drivers/sound/. If you see the driver(s) for your sound card, you can try using the module directory and skip recompiling the kernel. <snip>

[I]t is a good idea to read the relevant documentation included with the kernel sound drivers, particularly information specific to your card type. The files can be found in the kernel documentation directory, usually installed in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound. <snip>

If you are using loadable kernel modules for sound (you are), you will need to load them using the modprobe command for the appropriate drivers, e.g. run the command
Code:
modprobe sb
for a SoundBlaster card.
I recommend reading through the entire sound how-to, and for usability, go here. There's a bunch more info in the how-to, and there's a list here about sound card compatibility. I know it's for Red Hat, but it will also tell you what driver to use for your card. Hope this helps!

-Infamous-Tim-

Old 07-17-2001, 04:34 PM   #3
johncla

Original Poster
Thankyou Infamous Tim, your help is greatly appreciated.

I believe you have set me on the path

May God Bless You