LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2001, 10:54 PM   #1
mlard
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy

I've been using Mandrake 7.2 with a lot of success for a Half-Life server. I am now creating a new box with Mandrake 8, for another server. I did an expert install to get the support that I needed for all the different features I use. Everything was working great till I realized I had forgotten to install the tclx package. I installed it, and rebooted to see the difference in the shutdown between 8 and 7.2 (everything was working). When it came back up, I recieved no errors that I could detect except when it tried to switch to run level 5. It bombs at this point and leaves me at runlevel 3. I looked around and found a few things to try (like xf86config) and tha got me back to run level 5, with the login screen. However now my usb mouse goes all over the screen when I use it, and my resolution is only 640x480 with a "virtual desktop" of 1024x768. I found some old xf86config files in my /etc/X11 directory, and tried those, but they yield the same results. I'm at my wits end, and about to re-install from scratch as I won't lose anything. But I would rather try to fix this prob to learn something. Any sugs would be helpful...TIA. -Mike

Old 05-04-2001, 12:53 PM   #2
webtoe

Distribution: Slackware 10, Fedora Core 3, Mac OS X

Rep: Reputation: 30
just run XF86Config to reconfigure the card (or XF86Setup, look in /usr/XllR6/bin for a program called somthing like that)

Alex

Old 05-12-2001, 03:47 AM   #3
vendemmian
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 0
Talking

if you are having problems with your XF86Config file, providing that u are using the same pc ( as in hardware, monitor etc..)
then as mandrake 7.2 and 8.0 both use XFree-4.x.x
then u can use youre old XF86Config file from 7.2.
I know u generally shouldn't do it, but seen as they really both use the same file, should solve the problem..