LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2001, 09:55 PM   #1
JustinHoMi

Distribution: CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 30

Hey guys. I've been looking all over for a full screen mp3 player that would work well for a car mp3 player with a 6in TFT display. I'm suprised to only find projects that support the simple 2 or 4 line LCD displays. Even worse, I found a program for windoze that does exactly what i want! Well not exactly... I'm sure it would take 10 minutes to boot, and would crash incessantly, but still... if it's been made for windoze there's GOT to be something that would do what I want under linux. Any suggestions??

Thanks!
Justin

Old 05-22-2001, 10:52 AM   #2
Thymox

Distribution: Mostly Debian based systems

Rep: Reputation: 64
What?

You're looking for a program to run under Linux, runs in fullscreen and would look good on a 6" TFT display, to play MP3s? To use in a car? What in-car MP3 player runs Linux? Seriously, that wasn't sarcasm, I would like to know - I've been searching for information on as many 'small' technologies that will run Linux. So far I've found that IBM are developing a Linux-Watch and that Nokia are implementing Linux in their 3rd generation Mobile Phones.

Try going to the XMMS website. Maybe there's a plugin or skin or something.

Old 05-22-2001, 10:55 AM   #3
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Maximum Linux ran an article around December with nothing but about Car MP3 player and how they did it building their own linux box to run the mp3 player. Too bad they stopped the publication, you could check out their site if it still exists for back issues and or links of resources.

Old 05-22-2001, 11:26 AM   #4
rshaw

Distribution: Mepis , Debian

Rep: Reputation: 45
the sites closed. i have that issue and would be happy to scan and email it to you if you want.

Old 05-22-2001, 12:04 PM   #5
doodah

Distribution: slackware

Rep: Reputation: 15
a friend of mine was trying to do that exact same thing.. i know he was trying it out with linux, but i dont know what the outcome was... ill see if i can get in touch with him and get back to you...

Old 05-22-2001, 01:07 PM   #6
JustinHoMi

Distribution: CentOS

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
That would be great if ya could scan that for me rshaw. I've found a ton of sites on the net about linux car mp3 players but everybody seems to go w/ the Cajun method (4x20 character LCD). I may have to end up doing that, but I'd rather go w/ a nicer display if possible.

Thymox, there are a couple of commercial car mp3 players (empeg.com is one) and there are a LOT of people that have done this on their own (cajun.sourceforge.net is a popular method). I did check out xmms (ryanspc.com uses it somehow) but I have been unable to find a plugin that would do what I need. It supports infared remotes, but when it comes to loading playlists, etc, I don't see a good way to do it. Anyways, the search goes on....

Justin