LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2001, 09:17 AM   #1
marktaff

Distribution: SuSE 9.3-10.0

Rep: Reputation: 15
Unhappy Stuck installing RH 7.1

I have been trying to install RH 7.1 for the last 11 hours. This is my first experiance with Linux.

The box is a Pentium 120Mhz, 2.1 GB, 48 MB, WIN98, Ethernet, CDROM, Floppy.

I used rawrite to put bootnet.img on a floppy. When I boot the machine in normal mode it fails with a kernal panic.

When I use expert mode, it tells me I must have 20MB RAM for FTP or HTTP install (but I have 48???). If I go the NFS route, I can enter all my IP info, but I don't have the NFS info to enter.

I found one at 129.79.6.139 and /linux/redhat/redhat/linux/7.1/en/os/i386 When I try that, it tells me that it can't mount that location.

I have tried using mem=32M (and 16M, and 27M) at the boot prompt, but that didn't make any diferrence. I also tried to re-arrange the SIMMs in the motherboard, and that didn't make any diferrence either.

I've spent most of the time reading every webpage I could find that might help, to no avail.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Mark

Old 06-29-2001, 12:19 PM   #2
jharris

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHES

Rep: Reputation: 47
Are there any useful details in the kernel panic (probably not!). Post if its possible - you can often use CTRL+PgUP to scroll back up.

You can always try removing any hardware that isn't essential as it may be a piece hardware causing the panic. Unfortunately I'm not from the Redhat camp so can't be that much more use... Personally I'd take out the hardware (esp. the network card) and try a normal install again.

HTH

Jamie...

Old 06-29-2001, 04:46 PM   #3
marktaff

Original Poster
Exclamation Details on kernal panic

Here is the specific kernal error:

VFS: Cannot open root device "" or 08:41
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:41

Note that at this point, the box is locked, and I have to go for a cold reboot.

All the output prior to that is a bit cryptic to me (being new to Linux) but it appears to be detecting hardware and loading drivers. It is loading my floppy as fd0. In fact, all output prior to the error appears to be successful commands.

I am going to reboot in to DOS and try and run memmaker or msd and see if it will shed any light on potential problems.

I did have a fellow tell that I am probably not going to find a publicly accessible NFS server, so I think I need to focus on fixing this kernal panic.

Thanks, I'm goin to keep trying to figure this out. If this info helps you help me, please let me know.

Mark

Old 07-03-2001, 08:16 AM   #4
ascii2k

Distribution: Red Hat 7.3/Mandrake 8.2/9.0

Rep: Reputation: 30
Did you try booting from the cdrom. I usually have better luck doing that. You may want to check and see if there are any BIOS updates available as well. You could also boot to dos and then use the autoboot command to start the install process.

Old 07-06-2001, 08:03 PM   #5
rdaves@earthlink.net

Distribution: I use Red Hat V 7.1

Rep: Reputation: 30
After many, many frustrating misqueues at installing Red Hat 7.1, I did the following:

Note that, prior to this install, I had already used System Commander to make room for Linux. My Linux partition was beyond cylinder 1047, which causes Linux 7.0 to puke, but the following procedure worked for Linux V7.1.

1.) Using System Commander, I erased the Linux data that I had previously installed (backup was not necessary, as all I had on my disk was old Linux stuff that I didn't want).

2.) I cold-booted my machine with the #1 Linux install disk in my CD

3.) The Linux install auto-started and was pretty intuitive. When I was asked if I wanted to make a boot disk, I said yes.

4.) I let Linux figure out what to do with my Hard Drive. It put the boot partition, swap partition and main partition in the right places and away we go.

Old 07-10-2001, 07:24 PM   #6
marktaff

Original Poster
Smile Solution -- RH 7.1 not recognizing memory

I got RH 7.1 installed. Unfortunately, my onboard video is not supported. Anyway, RH 7.1 wasn't recognizing my memory SIMMs (72 pin 70 ns). The solution for RH 7.1 is to explicitly tell Linux where your memory is. The boot: parameters are (for a box with 48M RAM):

linux mem=exactmap mem=640K@0 mem=47M@1

for 64M RAM, the last parameter would be: mem=63M@1

Hope this saves somebody else some frustration.

Mark

Old 08-30-2001, 07:31 AM   #7
owcher
LQ Newbie

Distribution: RedHat

Rep: Reputation: 0
Compaq Prosignia 300, RedHat 7.1, mem=

I spent close to 11 hours trying to install RedHat 7.1 on a Compaq ProSignia 300.

I noted someone else's post in this thread, but found I had to add M at the end of the recommended option string - then it finally worked. With out the M I kept receiving message about VFS unable to mount root. Please add a valid root= .

linux mem=exactmap mem=640K@0 mem=63M@1M

in lilo it would be
append="mem=exactmap mem=640K@0 mem=63M@1M "

Old 09-13-2001, 01:31 PM   #8
Rich
LQ Newbie

Question

Mark,

This may be seem like a dumb question but was your original intent to install from an NFS server? It looks like you tried, but I couldn't really tell.

The reason for asking was the use of "bootnet.img" instead of "boot.img" for your floppy. Just curious.

Rich

Old 09-19-2001, 12:10 AM   #9
mike_c
LQ Newbie

Distribution: RedHat 7.1

Thumbs up

Great post! I too have a CPQ Prosig 300. Mine is a P120 w/128MB. I was having a very tough time with the same exact kernel panic error when I was installing RH 7.1. I couldn't find any hits on Compaq's or RedHat's websites, and then I found your post (Thank you Google!). Using linux mem=127M@1M as the last parameter worked like a charm!

I am a newbie but am trying to get the hang of this Linux thing...

Many thanks!

-Mike C.

Old 09-26-2001, 04:38 PM   #10
akebono
LQ Newbie

help me out anyone?!??!

Hey guys,

I'm installing redhat 7.1 and i'm getting the following error after it has loaded up anaconda:

install exited abnormally -- recieved signal 11
sending termination signals -- done
sending kill signals -- done

it then goes and unmounts everything and says its okay for me to reboot. I'm running a dual processor compaq proliant 6500. I'm thinking it might be the ARRAY system?? This system has 9 scsi hard drives, in and ARRAY system, could it be that redhat isn't recognizing this in installation?

can anyone please please help me out?!?! I've updated the firmware, and selected the UNIX ware as the OS since linux isn't even an option. I've been trying everything for the past 3 days, i can't seem to get it, anyone please please please please help on this.

Old 09-28-2001, 04:42 PM   #11
marktaff

Original Poster
Update/status

All,

I did indeed leave the last 'M' off of my solution to specify memory. Blonde moment I guess.

Rich - The original goal was to do an FTP install from a Redhat mirror, as I have a 600kb/s connection (then NFS). By the time I had figured out the memory solution, I had already gone out and bought the CD's.

akebono - The only thing I could suggest is to read the raid Howto (do a search).

Mark Taff

Old 10-02-2001, 04:46 AM   #12
Harshit
LQ Newbie

Re: Stuck installing RH 7.1

Quote:
Originally posted by marktaff
I have been trying to install RH 7.1 for the last 11 hours. This is my first experiance with Linux.

The box is a Pentium 120Mhz, 2.1 GB, 48 MB, WIN98, Ethernet, CDROM, Floppy.

I used rawrite to put bootnet.img on a floppy. When I boot the machine in normal mode it fails with a kernal panic.

When I use expert mode, it tells me I must have 20MB RAM for FTP or HTTP install (but I have 48???). If I go the NFS route, I can enter all my IP info, but I don't have the NFS info to enter.

I found one at 129.79.6.139 and /linux/redhat/redhat/linux/7.1/en/os/i386 When I try that, it tells me that it can't mount that location.

I have tried using mem=32M (and 16M, and 27M) at the boot prompt, but that didn't make any diferrence. I also tried to re-arrange the SIMMs in the motherboard, and that didn't make any diferrence either.

I've spent most of the time reading every webpage I could find that might help, to no avail.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Mark
Dear Friend,
Since I find that u have problem booting with floppy and doing installation why don't u try using the Boot with CDROM option from ur system BIOS. The procedure is as stated.
1. Switch on the P.C, press DEL key to invoke the BIOS Setup.
2. In the Bios u shall find Boot Option. Select primary boot device as " Boot from CDROM
3. Save the Settings by pressing F10 key.
4. Insert the Redhat CD and let the system boot.
5. Select Basic installation and now the installation should go through smooth.

In Case u still have any problem MAIL me harshit_1903@rediffmail.com & i will definately help u at the point where u r stuck.

For URL's please check www.linuxdoc.org

Bye for now,
Harry

Old 11-09-2001, 03:16 PM   #13
m12
LQ Newbie

Distribution: RedHat

I had the same problem, but none of solutions writen above solved my problem!
The problem I was speculating RAM, because I already instaled linux on this PC once before. The only difference to now was, that I added some RAM.
That RAM was working OK with Windows, but under Linux it had some difficulties.

After I changed RAM modules, I had no further problem!

I hope I helped somebody,
Matjaz

Old 11-09-2001, 09:54 PM   #14
DavidPhillips
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora / RedHat / SuSE

Rep: Reputation: 58
The http install works well if you have no cdrom and you want to use a system with a web server running to install from. Personal Web server on the windows cd will work fine.

I would not do the ftp install from the internet, because it can take hours and if it disconnects you have to start over. It's better to download the files first.