LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2001, 12:34 PM   #1
dilberim82

Distribution: used to be Redhat, now Debian Sarge

Rep: Reputation: 30

I have two computers at my house, and i want to set them both up so i can connect to internet with one cable line. One of my computers has Redhat 6.2 and Windows 98SE and the second computer has Mandrake and windows 98. How would i go about setting them up so i can go online with both computers. Any howto's would be helpful. Thanks .

Old 05-11-2001, 02:29 PM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
If you are on a Cable connection, I would recommend the linksys cable/dsl router, very easy setup. Took all of about 5 minutes, just take it this way, it took longer to get out of the box than to setup the connection.

Old 05-17-2001, 08:12 PM   #3
jharris

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHES

Rep: Reputation: 47
Talking

The other method you could use is to setup the Linux box with the internet connection, enable IP Masquerading, then set this as your default gateway for the Windows machine (I'm assuming that you already have them networked). The howto is at

http://linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO.html

Once the support is in your Kernel its only a couple of lines to enable it.

HTH

Jamie...

Old 05-18-2001, 07:27 PM   #4
notlinus

Distribution: RedHat 6.1

Rep: Reputation: 15
The linksys router is about $100-$150, and allows you to link 4 machines to the web, gives firewall protection, and is cross platform. You can also do this in Linux, but it is more challenging. Depends on how much you value your time...
/js

Old 05-21-2001, 08:47 AM   #5
dilberim82

Distribution: used to be Redhat, now Debian Sarge

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
thanks

Thank you all for your replies. Time is not a problem for me, but i am a newbie and i am not sure if i can do all of those in linux by myself. Anyways, thanks all of you for your opinions.

Old 05-21-2001, 09:31 AM   #6
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Actually the Linksys router is about the easiest thing to setup. If your Nics are working in linux, all you do is change your network settings for them. Also you can actually link up to 255 computers on one connection.
And the plus is, it is a firewall and pracitcally a very good one too. All the config for it is web based type pages stored on the router itself.

Old 05-21-2001, 12:08 PM   #7
notlinus

Distribution: RedHat 6.1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Correct that the Linksys router can handle 254 computers, but without additional hardware you are limited to 4 as that's how many ports it has. However, each port can be taken to a hub or switch which will cheaply multiply the number of available ports.