LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2001, 03:26 PM   #1
ssnelgro
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0

I have been running RH 7.0 on our Gateway ALR 7210 server for a few months now with no problems. We would like to scrub the system and upgrade to 7.1. Here is my problem this happpens if I try to upgrade from 7.0 or do a fresh install. After partitioning and selecting packages, I get the following error. "an error occured transferring the install image to the hard disk. You are probably out of disk space". This is not possible I have created a swap partition per RH standards (double the amount of RAM in this case 1Gb). I also have a RAID array that makes up the root partition that is 36Gb. So I am not low on space, and RH 7.0 works fine. Anyone who could suggest a possible solution I would be greatful. I had to dl a new boot.img file so install routine would work with my Adaptec SCSI adapter, the system would hang during probe,I also think this system has the Intel 440 chipset, could any of this be causing my problems?

Thanks in advance..

Scott-

Old 06-06-2001, 07:46 PM   #2
mcleodnine

Distribution: s l a c k w a r e

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally posted by ssnelgro
I have been running RH 7.0 on our Gateway ALR 7210 server for a few months now with no problems. We would like to scrub the system and upgrade to 7.1. Here is my problem this happpens if I try to upgrade from 7.0 or do a fresh install. After partitioning and selecting packages, I get the following error. "an error occured transferring the install image to the hard disk. You are probably out of disk space". This is not possible I have created a swap partition per RH standards (double the amount of RAM in this case 1Gb). I also have a RAID array that makes up the root partition that is 36Gb. So I am not low on space, and RH 7.0 works fine. Anyone who could suggest a possible solution I would be greatful. I had to dl a new boot.img file so install routine would work with my Adaptec SCSI adapter, the system would hang during probe,I also think this system has the Intel 440 chipset, could any of this be causing my problems?

Thanks in advance..

Scott-
I have a Goatway server board (ALR 7200) with the 440LX chipset. No probs with anything except the price of buffered EDO RAM! Are you using hardware or software RAID?

Old 06-10-2001, 06:00 PM   #3
smoshea
LQ Newbie

Have you tried using the upgrade option in 7.1, I know its not the best way to do it but i would be interested to see if it works?!
Just a suggestion!

Cheers

Stuart

Old 06-11-2001, 09:36 AM   #4
ssnelgro
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
yes, I went back installed 7.0 in 15 min. flat, and proceeded to upgrade, the install failed in the exact same place.

Old 10-05-2001, 07:44 PM   #5
mmussol
LQ Newbie

Unhappy

Have you ever resolved this? I am facing the same problem.

Thanks!
Mike

Old 10-05-2001, 07:58 PM   #6
ssnelgro
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thumbs down

Mike-

After talking with Redhat directly I found that the driver for the S466 MegaRaid adapter is not supported in version 7.1. We have had to ditch the upgrade plans on this server. We continue to run version 7.0

Regards,

Scott-

Old 05-05-2002, 02:46 PM   #7
tuBrody
LQ Newbie

Question Same problem

I am having the exact same problem. I am getting that "an error ocured transferring the install image t your hard drive. You are probably out of disk space" . I am NOT out of disk space and I am not using any raid disks. I only have one 15.3GB maxtor HD which never gave me trouble before. I am trying to install RH 7.2 and have failed the same way every time. Any suggestions?

-Daniel