LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2001, 07:02 PM   #1
dilberim82

Distribution: used to be Redhat, now Debian Sarge

Rep: Reputation: 30
Router problems

Ok I've installed a router correctly (Hawking). I have to computers one of them has RH 7.1 and the other one has win 98 and RH7.1. Now my problem is I cannot do anything from any of the computers. When i ping the ip address of the router it works fine, and when i ping the ip address of the machines it works too. ohh and pinging localhost is fine too. I dont understand what is wrong. So in order to search or do stuff do i have to set a proxy or something? Ohh and i should say, it worked for a couple of days and then it just stopped responding.

Old 07-17-2001, 07:10 PM   #2
mcleodnine

Distribution: s l a c k w a r e

Rep: Reputation: 45
MMkayyy. If it worked for a few days and stopped - power management problem?

As far as the routing issue goes, are you routing 'real' IP addrs to the internet or are you masquerading?

Old 07-17-2001, 07:31 PM   #3
dilberim82

Original Poster

I dont really understand the meaning of masquerading. I always thought it meant if i was distrubiting the ips from a computer to my other computers. Can you masquerade an ip through a router? Damn i hate being a newbie. I have a router that has a ip 66.XX.XXX.XXX and my computers ips are 168.XX.XXX.XX, so is that mean i am masquerading? I dont even know how to spell that word i copied it from your post and i've been pasting it lol. The first thing i checked was the power suplly its not it. Any other suggestions?

Old 07-17-2001, 07:37 PM   #4
mcleodnine

Are we talkling about a hardware router? As in "Hi welcome to Router World. Will that be Cisco or Nortel? Do you want wires with that?" Or are we talking about a router box built from an old computer and and a Linux distro?

Judging by the IP blocks you showed it appears that you are masquerading 'private' internal IPs through a 'public' (internet visible) address.

Old 07-17-2001, 07:41 PM   #5
dilberim82

Original Poster
thanks for the quick replies mcleodine

Yea, i am talking about a hardware router. It is from Hawking technology. And i am assuming you know what you are talking about in your last paragraph because i did not undestand a word from it. lol. Joke is aside, i think i know what you mean and i am doing exactly what you are talking about (at least trying). So what do you think is causing the problem?

Old 07-17-2001, 07:58 PM   #6
gcombe74

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 15
I have not worked with this type of router, have you looked at the configuration and os settings on the router and made sure they are the same? With Cisco and I am sure all others you have to save the configuration before you power off or next boot all is gone! Also what protocol are you using for your network?

Old 07-17-2001, 08:11 PM   #7
dilberim82

Original Poster
Hey,
Yes, i checked them out, and like i said it worked for a while, and then it just stopped working. Umm my cable connection supports DHCP and i enabled it in the router but it did not work, so i entered everything manually. I am not home right now, but i'll try some other things i've read on the net. Thanks for all the replies and i'll ask my q's tomorrow .

Old 07-17-2001, 09:14 PM   #8
mcleodnine

First probelm - stop using static IP's for cable modem DHCP. It doesn't work in most areas anymore.

See if you have to register you MAC address for your route in order to get on the network. Or you may have to provide a 'hostname' (an account name perhaps) to the ISP at the initialization of the DHCP negotiation.

Once you get that figured out, then you can worry about the routing issue.

Old 07-19-2001, 01:52 PM   #9
dilberim82

Original Poster
problem solved

Thanks everyone for replying. I think the problem was me playing around too much. I probably changed some stuff i should not have and it did not work. But the router has a connection with the network, but the problem could not connect to the router. I fixed by putting the router back to the way i first bought it and then installed it again. Thanks again