LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2001, 07:57 AM   #1
Thymox

Distribution: Mostly Debian based systems

Rep: Reputation: 64

Not really a Linux specific question, hence I'm posting it here.

Under Win98 and above, you can enable 'line bonding' (a little kinky sounding ) where if you've got more than 1 phone line and more than 1 modem, you can use them in tandem to get a faster internet connection. Sounds good!

I believe the principle of ADSL is that since more information is sent to your computer than from it, the two speeds (income/outgoing) are different.

And then there's satallite stuff (been reading about this, sounds pretty cool!) where you use your ordinary modem for outgoing data to a particular satellite based ISP, and then a special satellite modem for the data being sent to you via satellite (piggybacked on an ordinary transmission, I think).

Here's my question:

If you've only got one phone-line, but two modems (that are different speeds), can use the slower one for outgoing data and the faster one for incoming data? If so, is it possible under Windows or is this too much for a MS product to cope with and so only available to Linux users? Would a special ISP be needed for this kind of 'tinkering'? Does anyone know of a Linux ISP in England that does/would support this?

Reason(s):

1) I recently came across an old 386 of mine with a 14,400 (ISA) modem. I have a 56K (serial) modem (not sure if it's a WinModem or not, still not too clear on this front ), but it's currently being used by my housemate, since I don't have a phone connection in my room.

2) My brother has completely networked his house. Currently his computer is the internet gateway for the rest of the house, but this puts some strain on it. He is thinking of building a machine that operates solely for the purpose of a dialing-out gateway.

The above 'line-splitting' could (if only in theory) provide a quicker line connection, and since phone line rentals in England are stupidly high, this would avoid using 'line bonding' (and therefore multiple phone lines) for quicker connections!

Anything anyone can think of would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I'm currently trying to convert an old analogue satallite TV box into something that might resemble a serial/parallel based satellite modem. This is not really a serious attempt, as not any old ISP supports satellite stuff and so would not actually be able to use a home-made one. Info on this side of things would also be good.

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2001, 01:38 PM   #2
CragStar

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 47
Talking You don't ask much!

Blimey, it does sound as if you have a lot of time on your hands at the moment! Lucky so-an-so!

I did actually think that is was possible to do what you want with the incoming and outgoing modems, I thought that was the idea behind ISDN where you get speeds of 64k or 128k.

However, I don't really know that much. You should check with the ISP and the telecoms company. Mind you, talking to BT can give you a hernia! And then again, if it was possible wouldn't everyone be doing it? I don't know?

As far as satellite goes, I don't know if anyone is offering that yet.

Old 05-30-2001, 01:45 PM   #3
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
I don't know of any ISP that would do such a thing now with dual modems but I have heard of it, a long time ago, but I think people realized that it wasn't worth it and haven't seen anything like that no longer.
You first had to have two phone lines, then two identical modems and then you would double your connection speed.

Hmmm.. that would be twice the download of a 56k, doesn't sound worth it to me at least, not if your going to pay for two phone lines, you could get DSL or Cable for cheaper than that.

Old 05-31-2001, 02:50 PM   #4
CragStar

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 47
I think that I would agree with Trickykid in that it would be cheeper to get cable or ADSL. But then if you wanted a challenge ......

Old 06-01-2001, 06:10 AM   #5
Thymox

Original Poster
Oh, yes! I do have quite a bit of time on my hands. Can't get ADSL where I live in Cornwall! Coul maybe get cable in Plymouth, but then I'm renting accomodation and I don't think that the land-lord would be too happy with a hole being drilled in his walls .

Was wandering about actually splitting the phone line (sending two of the wires to one modem, and the other two to the other modem) - if this would work? I'm not really too sure if it would, but then, I have got time on my hands.

Will probably try it over the summer hols and report back here on the outcome - either good or bad!

Cheers anyway.

Old 06-01-2001, 06:51 AM   #6
mcleodnine

Distribution: s l a c k w a r e

Rep: Reputation: 45
Since you are sending 'voice' stuff over the phone copper, using two modems on the same line would be like having your little brother picking up the extension and singing the "Barney Song" while you are trying to call in sick (for a round of golf). Crosstalk, confusion, and a determined failure.

You won't get much more out of the copper unless you can go HF (a la xDSL) which a modem isn't. Then you're getting into an engineering project. Of course you'd need somthing on the other end to be able to understand what the hell is going on over at your end. Good luck and I hope you're not on my local POTS exchange!

Old 06-01-2001, 09:09 AM   #7
Thymox

Original Poster
Thanks, mcleodnine. That almost sounded like 'it ain't gonna work, buddy', which although is not the encouragement I was after, does answer my question. Maybe I'll just stick with my 56K - after all, I do all my downloads at Uni anyway (it's free!!!). Was just curious if it would work!

Thanks for all the feedback - ADSL may eventually reach the extreme regions of Cornwall (England), but I'm not holding my breath! If it does, I'll look into that.

Old 06-01-2001, 02:00 PM   #8
mcleodnine

Distribution: s l a c k w a r e

Rep: Reputation: 45
I guess the thin lustre of diplomacy I usually wear has been rubbed off this week by dealing with domain registry issues.

'It ain't gonna work' != impossible