LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2001, 12:39 PM   #1
rand07
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy

I'm new to Linux and have been messing around with background properties and whatnot in Redhat Linux 7. The problem is that the windows are too big for my screen. When the properties window comes up I can't read everything and I have to resize the window. When doing this I still can barely get to the OK and Cancel buttons at the bottom. Does anyone know a way to make the window sizes smaller and have the contents adjust to the window size?

Also, can anyone tell me how to change the color resolution? Mine is on 256 colors and it doesn't look that good. I would like to change to 24-bit. Thanks

Old 02-20-2001, 01:22 PM   #2
cawaker
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Xfree setup

sounds liek you need to configure XFree i cant recall the app off the top of my head but a good place to start for info is http://www.xfree.org, theres lots of documentation there. but if ya dont wanna read just run Xconfigurator in a terminal window.

Old 02-20-2001, 03:16 PM   #3
KevinJ

Distribution: Redhat v8.0 (soon to be Fedora? or maybe I will just go back to Slackware)

Rep: Reputation: 30
configuring Xwindows

If you are using Redhat.. Xconfigurator is definitely the way to go. You can also use the text based config utility called 'xf86config' with just about any distribution including Redhat. You will need to know the chipset and brand of your video card, the amount of video RAM and things like that. If you are using SUSE there is something called "SAX" that will do the same thing that Xconfigurator does for Redhat.

In any event, you can use any of these to setup Xwindows for the screen resolutions and color depth you want. Another, less atractive option would be to simply edit the 'XF86Config' file by hand. Post the contents of your '/etc/X11/XF86Config' and '/etc/X11/XF86Config-4' file if you have them and maybe we can tell you how to edit them if it comes to that.