LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2001, 02:08 AM   #1
hazza96

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 15
ADSL firewall/gateway/samba server

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for distros to setup a firewall/samba server for a home network.

The server will be connected to the internet via ADSL and the home network via a network card.

I need it to be as secure as it can be without having to go to Uni and do 4 years of study. I was looking at Mandrake Single Network Firewall as a possible solution.

Old 06-25-2001, 02:36 AM   #2
jharris

Distribution: Slackware, Fedora, RHES

Rep: Reputation: 47
There has been a recent post on Mandrake Single Network Firewall - have a search for that. I think you'll find that the distro you end up using won't make a massive difference to your security so long as you set it up right yourself... Search the forum for posts by Razbot - he answers a lot of the network security related questions so you'll probably find some good answers on the threads.

HTH

Jamie...

Old 06-26-2001, 05:42 PM   #3
jrmann1999

Distribution: Slackware, Mandrake, LFS

Rep: Reputation: 30
Pretty much ANY distro is good for this now. If they support your type of DSL(there aren't that many that don't support them all) and your particular network card/DSL modem(this is the tricky part) your going to be fine. There's enough howto's out there to allow you to figure your way through custom setups of firewall/samba. My personal distro of choice is slackware, but for the ease of use I wouldn't suggest it. Redhat or Mandrake are MUCH more user friendly and don't really require you to learn in depth Linux administration.

J