LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2001, 09:56 AM   #1
Codepie
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0

first, let me just state that there are no bad sectors.

OK here goes, upon installing redhat 7.1, and even in the install, my HD seems to work constantly producing a static noise, well, its not the "moving files", "loading stuff" noise, its just like something that could've come out of Ski or Die. vrrrrrrrrr. schhh. its not thrashing, and its pretty high frequency. even when I move my mouse. Its driving me mad, I've tried hdparm (aboutishly every parameter there is), and now I seek counsel here. _ANY_ response will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Codepie

Click here to see the post LQ members have rated as the most helpful post in this thread.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:45 AM   #2
Tim Abracadabra

Distribution: debian 9.8 w/GNOME and KDE dual boot w/Win 10.| debian 7.11 w/Xfce, LFS 7.9, + Multi-boot w/Windows7

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codepie View Post
first, let me just state that there are no bad sectors.

OK here goes, upon installing redhat 7.1, and even in the install, my HD seems to work constantly producing a static noise, well, its not the "moving files", "loading stuff" noise, its just like something that could've come out of Ski or Die. vrrrrrrrrr. schhh. its not thrashing, and its pretty high frequency. even when I move my mouse. Its driving me mad, I've tried hdparm (aboutishly every parameter there is), and now I seek counsel here. _ANY_ response will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Codepie
Is this a mechanical HD, I'd guess yes. If it is more than a few years old and especially if it is PATA not SATA then I'd replace it ASAP. Well .. actually the SATA ones may get more stress so .. Any noisy mechanical drive.

At least back up all your data immediately! I've lost 2 mechanical hard drives this year! One just after a power surge/Outage. They are so fragile now these days it seems.

One thing you could do (After Backup) is boot a live distro and mount the drive. See how it reacts. Then maybe exercise it a bit and see if it sounds normal.

May be time for a SSD !

Hope that helps,

Tim

Last edited by Tim Abracadabra; 04-09-2019 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Fix Typo

Old 04-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #3
JeremyBoden

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511
How do you know the noise comes from the disk?

Could be a dodgy fan or PSU.

How about the SMART stats on your drive?

Last edited by JeremyBoden; 04-09-2019 at 08:53 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:39 AM   #4
Tim Abracadabra

Distribution: debian 9.8 w/GNOME and KDE dual boot w/Win 10.| debian 7.11 w/Xfce, LFS 7.9, + Multi-boot w/Windows7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBoden View Post

Excellent point! Open the case and maybe put an insulated screwdriver to your ear and carefully touch the drive case.
Keep away fron wires, pins, connectors and pc cards and use the utmost caution or maybe use a stethescope or other listening device.

If you feel uncomfortable then please take it to a qualified person. Be safe!

Last edited by Tim Abracadabra; 04-10-2019 at 12:42 AM.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:20 AM   #5
Lysander666

Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 2470Reputation: 2470Reputation: 2470Reputation: 2470Reputation: 2470Reputation: 2470Reputation: 2470Reputation: 2470Reputation: 2470Reputation: 2470Reputation: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBoden View Post

I would also suggest SMART.

As a follow-on for Jeremy's point, for years I had a noise coming from my computer which I was convinced was a dodgy PSU fan. I ended up buying a new PSU. I installed it only to find that the noise was still there.

It was actually a case fan, and I had thrown away a perfectly good PSU. OP, I would suggest opening the case, unplugging some fans and doing some testing to just be sure that's it's actually the HDD.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:23 PM   #6
rnturn

Distribution: openSUSE, Raspbian, Slackware. Previous: MacOS, Red Hat, Coherent, Consensys SVR4.2, Tru64, Solaris

Rep: Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Abracadabra View Post
Is this a mechanical HD, I'd guess yes. If it is more than a few years old and especially if it is PATA not SATA then I'd replace it ASAP. Well .. actually the SATA ones may get more stress so .. Any noisy mechanical drive.
They sure don't make 'em like they used to. I've had SATA drives fail within a week of installation. At the other extreme, I used to have a very old system (my original firewall) that had a couple of small (2GB) Seagate SCSI drives in it that were pushing 20 years old and were in almost continuous use until one of them died. The bearings in those things had a constant high pitched whine that was normal. (Plus the spindle speeds were just different enough that the beat frequencies drove everyone nuts.)

Current disks are almost silent and you cannot even hear them seeking (I used to love the burbling sound the old Tandons made as the heads moved). If a recent drive is noisy, I'd be worried. Back it up.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:59 AM   #7
Tim Abracadabra

True. I've had similar experiences.
I'd really like to hear what the OP finds after opening the case and what the investigation reveals.

I totally agree that a backup right now is wise.
In fact, I recommend periodic backups even if everything seems OK.
You never know when a catastrophic failure may occur.
Best to be prepared

Codepie: At least back up your home directory and any other data files you may have elsewhere. Grab a flash drive, they are low cost and good insurance or use an optical media.

All the Best,
Tim

Last edited by Tim Abracadabra; 04-12-2019 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Add suggestion

Old 04-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #8
ehartman

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888Reputation: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codepie View Post
its not thrashing, and its pretty high frequency. even when I move my mouse.
Unless it's a drive that can spindown when not in use you're stuck with the noise.

On the good side, it doesn't have to indicate a problem with the disk itself.
I recently retired (for motherboard or powersupply problems) an old Pentium III, of which the disk had been making quite a bit of noise since 2002, when I got it 2nd hand (but even now, when I mounted it thru an external housing for "the final backup", it still works OK).