LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2001, 03:42 AM   #1
voitel

Distribution: Linux Mandrake 7.2

Rep: Reputation: 15
Need help with configring Linux Mandrake 7.2 boot loader (GRUB)

I need a help configuring GRUB boot loader. It wants to boot into the Linux OS first. By the way, I almost forgot: I am totally new to Linux, but from what I have seen it is much more superior than Windows. I want to learn it. Back to the topic: I am trying to run lnx4win (WinLinux), and in order to run it correctly my computer must boot into the Windows environment first, the GRUB boot loader changed the boot info somehow, and tries to boot into Linux directly. I will never work this way. I need to keep Windows running in order to get through the school, but I'd like to have linux on my machine too. Help me, tell me how to configure GRUB to make it boot into Windows at first. Every time I boot up my computer, I have to sit nex to it and wait for the moment when I can pick up the operating system I want to boot into. I am trying to work wieh linux mandrake 7.2 Need serious help. My email: voitel@searchalot.com

Thanks.

Old 07-11-2001, 06:15 PM   #2
linuxcool
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 47
OK. I've never used grub, but I know you have to edit a file named menu.lst. That's an ' l ' not a number one or ' i '. This is a text file so use a text editor. Look for a line with the word default=. After the ' = ' should be a number. Look further down the file and see where linux and windows are listed. If linux is first, the number is zero '0'. To get windows to be default change it to number one '1'. If windows should happen to be first, then the number should be zero '0'. According to the info I found, the file is supposed to be located in the /boot/grub/ directory. I hope this helps.

Old 07-11-2001, 09:31 PM   #3
rabidundead

Distribution: Trying to get GENTOO 2004.2 INSTALLED... Weeeee!!!!

Rep: Reputation: 15
Cool if u still need help...

i have had quite extensive experience with grub and windows. if u are still having problems, email me- or for a faster response .. if u use aol instant meggenger or gaim (in linux), my handle is: rabydundead

i can probably help u out... but i need to know the entire contents of the menu.lst file linuxcool pointed out.

anyway, later
--------
rabid
"don't mind the slobber, that means he likes u"

but don't make him mad :smash:
he is rabid, u know !?!