LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2001, 11:32 PM   #1
six-killer
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
x, maybe even linux, problem

I have a recurring problem, where, fustratingly when I run Enlightenment, KDE (2.0) GNOME, or any other window manager, the screen will distort into this vertical pinstripe thing: my keyboard, mouse and mind are rendered useless. I have to physically restart the computer. After I start X, this would happen maybe after 5 minutes or 2 hours, but it happens.

System Specs:
Processor: Pentium II 400
RAM: 64mb
Linux Distro: Mandrake 8.0 (don't laugh!)
XFree86 Version: 4.0.3
Video Card: Trident 3DImage 975 AGP (Generic) 4mb
Monitor: MAG Innovision DJ530
Kernel Version: 2.4.3-20mdk
Sound Card: YMF-740C [DC-1L Audio Controller]

That's about it! PLEASE HELP ME! It disturbs me that the server (or computer) has lasted long enough for me to plead for help...a teasing mistress she is!

Old 07-12-2001, 01:21 AM   #2
daemorhedron
LQ Newbie

Well, I am no linux super god by any stretch of the imagination, but sounds to me like one of two things : your video card ram might be a little flaky, or try upgrading X. Have you tried a different video card? Or has this card worked in another machine flawlessly?

http://www.xfree86.org/

Might help you also. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Old 07-12-2001, 01:48 AM   #3
six-killer
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
wha?!

characteristically, this card has worked under *gulp* windows flawlessly and under my OpenBSD box before I upgraded that one to a GeForce 64mb card.

I will, however, try the upgrade and pray for the best.

Thank you,

P.S. Any other suggestions, someone, out there? I don't feel like downloading 52+megs of data tonight, heh.

Old 07-12-2001, 07:57 AM   #4
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Have you tried to just reconfigure X? or maybe check your specs, vert and hori refresh rates?
What resolution do you have it set on? IF you have it set up at a higher reso, that could be a problem with only 4 megs of ram.

Old 07-12-2001, 03:51 PM   #5
six-killer
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Mwaa haa haa

My refresh rate is at a nimble 1024x768

I've recongifured X so many times, refresh rate is my friend and horizontal rate is mah b*tch.