LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2001, 06:43 AM   #1
Scobee
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Linksys Gigadrive

Looking for some help....

I bought a Linksys EFG20 Gigadrive (Network storage and print server) and want to get into the Linux system to install a dynamic dns Client so that I can setup a website and ftp server using my personal domain name. I've found several free dynamic dns services and several clients allready.

The trick is install and setup the client on the linux based gigadrive. I searched google and found several articles, but haven't quite figured out the right steps yet. My mindspring DSL account has a dynamic IP address of course, but I am using a Linksys BEFSR41 4-port DSL/router.

*internet
|
[BEFSR41]
|
-----[EFG20] ftp server, web page, file storage
|
-----PC #1
|
-----PC #2

Any one try this before?

Here is part of the article I found in the Linux Journal...

" I knew there had to be more to the GigaDrive besides a simple web-based interface. Heck, I wanted to be able to TELNET into the machine and peek around its insides, behind the facade of CGI scripts. But I worried a little about what would happen if the system became corrupted or a problem developed with the GigaDrive.
I e-mailed Linksys tech support with some questions and received a speedy reply, which shows good customer support. According to Linksys technical support, if the GigaDrive ``crashes, you would have to RMA it... at this time there are no restore disks for the gigadrive to restore it yet.''
This is quite interesting, because when I looked at the Windows CD-ROM included with the GigaDrive, I found out that the CD is actually a Red Hat Linux 2.0.36 install CD with a custom install program to restore the GigaDrive's file system on a new drive!
It took me about 20 minutes to figure out how to enable TELNET on the GigaDrive. One way to do this is to remotely run a simple, undocumented CGI script installed on the drive. After another 20 minutes, I was able to get the Red Hat system's root password, figure out a special TELNET user password and then TELNET into the GigaDrive, gain root access and create my own user account ``behind'' the Samba and web-based interface. From there, it was a simple matter to copy favorite libc5-based clients, such as the pico text editor, onto the Red Hat file system. This will also be necessary if you want to install (unsupported) NFS or FTP service on your GigaDrive.
Now, before you throw your hands up in horror (``Oh my God! Anyone can get into our GigaDrive!''), you should know that cracking the root password won't do any good unless you can gain TELNET access (root TELNET access is denied through a TCP wrapper, and TELNET is disabled by default). The base Red Hat 2.0.36 system on the GigaDrive also uses shadow passwords, and you cannot get the special TELNET user password unless you know something about your GigaDrive--I'm not going to say what.
The GigaDrive is quite secure when properly installed and configured. There is no way a casual or even determined cracker can gain access, unless you leave your own password on your desktop or under your doormat.
I really like my ``gigi'' GigaDrive, and I really like Linksys for its hardware support for the Linux community. I heartily recommend the GigaDrive for any home, home-office or small-business user who needs quick, inexpensive, on-line and secure storage for a small network. You can also find the GigaDrive at a discounted price if you shop around, which makes this Linksys product a winner in a growing field of instant-storage devices.
Bill Ball (bball@staffnet.com) is the author of numerous books about Linux, but still doesn't know what to do with his multiple copies of shrink-wrapped Microsoft operating system software and CD-ROMs. He is a member of the Northern Virginia Linux Users Group. "

Old 07-11-2001, 11:49 AM   #2
Scobee
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I guess I'll figure it out myself...

No one's tried this before?

I guess I'll have to learn way more than I wanted too.... at least for the challenge...

Old 09-25-2003, 07:17 PM   #3
mspier123
LQ Newbie

Upgrading the hard drive on a Linksys Gigadrive

I too have a Linksys Gigadrive (EFG20) and want to replace the 20GB drive in the unit with a 120GB drive. Does anyone know how I can get the right OS and software on the new drive?

Also, I'd like to patch the version of linux such that I can have file sizes greater than 2GB. How can I do that on the Gigadrive?

Old 03-25-2004, 08:23 AM   #4
Scobee
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Whew! Old Post

I never did get my efg20 gigadrive opened up, but elected to pay for a static IP instead, but...... it is certainly time to figure out the way to get the larger hard drive in there now!

Anyone interested in this?