LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2001, 02:16 AM   #1
eraser

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question

I've heard that 6.2 is the best Red Hat, at least the most reliable, is that true?

Old 04-07-2001, 09:16 AM   #2
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083
In my opinion 6.2 is much better than 7. RH7 is still a little buggy and ships with a broken compiler. IMHO 6.2 with the 2.4 kernel is the way to go if you want to install red hat.

Old 04-07-2001, 07:43 PM   #3
BrianG

Distribution: Redhat 6.2/7.2 & FreeBSD 4.4

anyone used 7.1 yet? d/l ing now. gonna try it out.

Old 04-09-2001, 06:35 AM   #4
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Is there a RH 7.1 out? I must be out of it and in my own world right now. Where did you find version 7.1, its not on their website even?

Old 04-09-2001, 11:02 AM   #5
BrianG

Distribution: Redhat 6.2/7.2 & FreeBSD 4.4

Its in beta. Codename wolverine. 90% percent of the links I got were bad, so it was tough to get. but not impossible. I havent installed it yet, wanted to see what the responce was. If i recall corrctly, it also is called "Fisher".

Old 04-09-2001, 12:08 PM   #6
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Oh yeah..I heard of it.....not too much time to download, well, not going to attempt it now that I moved and lost my cable modem connection. Oh well.

Old 04-17-2001, 06:25 PM   #7
russ023
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
I have been using Redhat 7.0 with kernal 2.4.3 and Alcatel USB adsl & netscape 6 with realplayer , only other things i been using is vmware for unix and xmms mp3 player & limewire with gnutella and yes it is buggy. it hangs quite a bit actually. I might got back to Redhat 6.0 (unfortunately i dont have 6.1/6.2 on CD).
Not sure if its the way i am configuring things or the os.I recomiled for athlon optimisation and my sound & internet went completely, so had to go back to pentium 3 config in the kernal (i am running athlon p1000 cpu)

Old 04-24-2001, 10:02 AM   #8
killjoy

Distribution: Red Hat, Mandrake

RH 7.1 or "Seawolf" is now avail. Installed it on an older box and it seems to be pretty stable. MUCH less buggy than 7.0. Get it at Red Hat or a mirror site.

Old 05-05-2001, 05:25 PM   #9
bfloeagle

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 30
Question Well how about 7.1?

Well, now that RedHat 7.1 has been out for a while, is it worth upgrading from 6.2 to 7.1? Anyone have opinions on 7.1 when compared to 7.0? Better worse? Killjoy, you mentioned less buggy? What was fixed?

Old 05-07-2001, 08:21 AM   #10
killjoy

Distribution: Red Hat, Mandrake

7.0 gave me a lot of problems with X, especially with blackbox-nearly impossible to configure with gdm, kept wanting to default to kdm and then fail at login. 7.1 seems much better. Has the newer version of Gnome (not helix) and a much cleaner install all the way around. I'm not sure about the compiler-I haven't seen anything that says the new gcc is out of beta yet, but it doesn't seem to give me any errors when building. Has a newer version of rpm, too. Netscape hangs a bit, but mozilla is there, and pretty stable( I like ).

Old 05-11-2001, 10:25 PM   #11
rabidundead

Distribution: Trying to get GENTOO 2004.2 INSTALLED... Weeeee!!!!

Talking SeaWolf da bomb!

(i give it five smiles)

the installer kicks.

the rpm manager needs a 'select all' for its packages and categories, but doesn't crash like mandrake 8.

rh needs to support grub, lilo has probs on some machines.

also installer could use an option to use the same 'selection' of package categories in update mode as it does in install mode (ie workstation, server, etc. and just install packages in these groups that aren't already on the system.) OR preselect packages in its already established update mode that are already detected on the system. (half the time, due to dependencies, i don't remember what's on my system already when i have to choose from over 1000 rpms)

but if this compromises its great functionality and stability, please excuse me.

ALL of the drivers i have need of are there, not forgotten about. and when i booted, for the first time EVER, i saw every status message go to [OK] instead of half of my devices complaining [FAILED]!!!!!!

this rocks, the kernel is awesome, and the bugs are OUT.

the ONLY real complaint i have is KDE 2, it has some major bugs with its panel. and some of the windows still have that annoying verticle line distortion in the toolbars. wish they'd fix that, but it's not redhat, its K.

gnome is so cool with that new eazel. a must have.

oh, yeah, redhat needs to put XKill on the desktop by default(or at least in the K Menu, and Footprint Menu). i can't count the number of times the panel crashed from simply trying to drag n drop an application shortcut onto my panel. i think where the flaws in the distro are is in the 3rd party. redhat going for a commercial status, rivalling ms windows, would do well to think about thing like this when designing their desktop defaults for inexperienced 'home pc' users who aren't technical. most people wouldn't even know about XKill if this was their first try at linux.

i have NEVER got linux to a working state so quickly EVER, and have NEVER had so FEW problems. this IS definitely my ms windows KILLER. say goodbye to your a**, BILL, cuz it's time to blow it to kingdom come!!!!!!

------------
Rabid Undead
" windows is truly that, pretty to look at, but breaks easily " :smash: